Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I make sure one gets more than the others?  (Read 3113 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
How do I make sure one gets more than the others?
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:05:11 pm »
We have three weaners this year. One OSB and two OSBs x kune kune. The latter are quite round now and I don't want them to get any fatter. The OSB is quite lean and I would like him to get a bit fatter. :)
 I know I might be asking the impossible but is there anyway of making sure that he gets more food than the other two?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: How do I make sure one gets more than the others?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:52:15 pm »
I have had my first weaners now for almost 3 weeks which I think means I qualify as an expert :-J  An expert at being new to weaners that is :eyelashes:

I bought my piggy  lads dog bowls and they have all got the hang of a dish each. The size of the bowl means that each pig can stick their face in it and prevent another straying piglet from stealing it. An other option would be to put the smaller one in a pen to eat and give it extra ration.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:35 pm »
Wow! That's amazing.

The trouble is mine are 8 months old, very big, quite boistrous at feeding time and used to sharing a feed trough. I'm a bit worried that, if I try to give them separate bowls, they will just fight over the the last bit of food. :thinking:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:51:03 pm »
Humnn,

your probably right. My little kune lads are not yet 3 months old and they did share a dish for one day but their was that much squealing, ear tugging, shoving and standing in the trough that I kicked that idea into touch in favor of a dish each.

They learn quickly like most baby animals so my guys know the routine now and seem to be much calmer around meal times as a result. I love a low stress. chilled out bunch ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 10:10:55 pm »
The only sure fire way is to make a small feeding pen and shut the OSB in it while it eats.
You could probably knock up something quite easily with a couple of pallets or hurdles - you'll be there while they're eating anyway so can keep an eye. I'd also scatter the kk's feed over the grass - it'll take them longer to eat it and force them to move more. Theoretically, if the kk are over about 8 months (and for the freezer, not breeding) and have plenty of grass, they shouldn't need any hard feed at all - I've always just given them a handful anyway (but just one handful!) to keep them quiet  ;)
HTH

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:17:27 am »
I love that picture Buffy
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 07:27:45 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks to HappyHippy. The advice about a pen for the OSB has worked really well. James got used to it very quickly and now waits in there for his extra rations rather than at the main feed trough. He is filling out nicely and should make 100 kgs with no trouble :) .

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 02:30:10 pm »
Great stuff  :thumbsup: and you're very welcome  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS