Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please - poorly piglet (laboured breathing)  (Read 3326 times)

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
Advice please - poorly piglet (laboured breathing)
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:30:59 pm »
Friends....am in need of some rapid advice
Three day old piglet has been fine so far along with siblings - checked them at midnight last night and all fine. This morning 0630, noticed one of them had very laboured breathing and mouth open, gasping for air. Seemed generally quite weak so got her into an area where it was warmer and dry and gave her dose of penicillin and anti-inflammatory. Had to then leave for a few hours to go to work and honestly didn't expect her survive such was her state - she was flat out with thumping breathing. Uncle checks her when I'm gone and she's recovered sufficiently to wander back out to the others and settle down and then feed. But this evening after lining up and appearing to feed with others, the laboured breathing seems to have reappeared. It is not as extreme as this morning though but she's clearly not right. I guess my question is - how long would the meds take to clear what I assume is some sort of pneumonia or does anyone think it could be anything else? I don't think I can give more meds until 24hrs have passed.
Given the experienced pig people on here I would really appreciate any advice or opinion on anything more I can do, bar keep an eye on her, keep her warm and sit it out.
Thanks
Martha R

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Advice please - poorly piglet (laboured breathing)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:11 pm »
It sounds like you've done pretty much what you can. The anti-inflam along with the a/bs is a good shout. It is most likely some kind of respiratory illness and sad to say it will either come good or it won't. Is she feeding ok? And are any of the others showing any signs? Any other symptoms for the sick one? i.e lumps, bumps, discharge etc?

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:44:09 pm »
Thanks Porterlauren - I assume similar. She's still lining up to feed and taking milk. I have topped her up several times today and she's definitely still got an appetite and is markedly better than first thing this morning so there is hope. Others all seem fine but then she did at midnight last night and was in dire straits by 0700hrs. No other obvious symptoms beyond heavy breathing and the odd cough. Will repeat meds tomorrow and keep topping her up if she needs it.
Martha R

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:03 pm »
Just out of interest where are you near aber? You can pm if you like. I'm about 15 mins from aber myself!

If she is eating thats a very good sign?

Maybe an odd question, but what is her tail like? Is it still curly or is it hanging straight?

Sounds very much like a form of pneumonia.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:58:19 pm »
Could be a congenital problem, with guts or blood vessels not quite following the normal paths, could be she got injured by the sow eg stepped on.
I'd say you're doing everything right, making sure coveed with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory daily, tlc, warmth and keeping her fed.
Then it's up to her. If she's strong enough she'll pull through, if not, you gave her the best possible chance.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:24:09 pm »
Thanks guys. Yes she's showing that she wants to eat, is lining up with the others and suckling and then is also taking top up from me from bottle and syringe. Which is better than this morning when she was pretty listless.

Porterlauren- my place is just up the side of the Blorenge mountain above Govilon. Where are you? Tail - good question. I think mostly straight but so are the others as they haven't curled up as yet I don't think (they're mangalitza / saddleback crosses but look like slightly furry saddlebacks).

Martha R
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:26:03 pm by MarthaR »

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 11:47:16 pm »
I only ask about the tail, because Ive found with mine when they are ill the tail hangs down rather than curls.

I know where you are. I'm near to Raglan, just down the road really.Saddleback x Mangalitza sounds interesting. I keep saddleback sows here, and either breed them pure or cross them with a pie train. How old are the piglets? Ive got a litter that's coming up three weeks here at the mo. A good way to waste hours of your day!

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 02:08:45 am »
Porterlauren - Spend lots of time in and around Raglan. This litter are four days old and have another litter which are OSB x Saddleback and 2.5 weeks old, so really have my hands full with one not well. The older ones look like chubby monsters compared to the days old ones. Have done the Mangalitza x Saddleback before but they ended up looking very different to these (much more hairy Mangalitza) but great characters and meat. I just did another top up feed and checked the tails - just starting to curl up. Mum is currently preferring to be outside the ark which isn't great given the impending rain...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS