Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Saanen milk  (Read 2995 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Saanen milk
« on: August 12, 2015, 09:11:05 pm »
I'm reading mixed information on the web regarding the butterfat levels in saanen milk. Does anyone make butter with their saanen milk?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Saanen milk
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:38:10 pm »
Not yet but I've just taken delivery of a separator so that I can start.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:03:43 am »
Thanks, would you happen to know what the butterfat levels are? ???

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 01:39:54 pm »
Butterfat varies with diet, grass growth and type, time of year, stage of lactation, genetics of the goat etc etc.
If you want to know, you'd have to have your milk recorded, I think this is done through the bgs.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:55:23 pm »
I have made butter from my togg milk put it through the cream seperator and used electric wisk.
As above Butterfat / protein levels vary so much between individual goats and time of year feeding etc. and can be so random. Can be higher in the spring and at evening milking. I have mine averaging between 3 and 4% butterfat which would be most common amongst the swiss breeds  2-3% protein but I have several times this year 4 and 5% butterfat and I'm asking my goats what did you do that day. anglo nubians tend to have higher 5 /6% butterfats
Sometimes some individual saanens have between 2-3% butterfat but then they are giving around 8 / 9kg of milk a day, so fats more diluted? Some have really good butterfats 4/5%  there is so many variables.
I milk record through Ayrshire Goat Club as  only milk recording club left in Scotland,(Grampian milk recording suspended at the moment due to lack of demand and a milk record secretary). Through the winter when on a more stable diet of hay I keep a record of what the goats eating and have saved money by noticing some manufactures concentrates don't give as quality a milk as others. It's worth giving butter making a go

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 10:23:59 pm »
Thank you everyone for  all the helpful information but I've finally made up my mind, having  spent the last 2 years on and off looking for goats, to stick with my plan of milking a cow. I have an angus x friesian heifer which I've hand reared so I shall put her to the bull and hopefully when she calves start to milk her. Its been an emotional few days for me as I've always wanted goats but living in Shetland makes everything about goatkeeping much much harder than on the mainland. I haven't been able to speak to anyone on Shetland who keeps any apart from one couple who keep ANs, so even if I did manage to source what I really wanted in Scotland which was GGs or OEGs I would have to drive them up and then drive them down to the mainland to find a male.  As I live on a croft with livestock it makes it impossible for me to take off for a jolly anywhere as its an overnight ferry down then an overnight ferry back up again. So as much as I've enjoyed reading all about your goaty antics I shall say farewell and I'll probably lurk on the cattle threads, but thanks again  :-*

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:10 am »
the principles of butterfats in cows are similar to the goats, jerseys/guernseys being the anglo nubians with higher butterfat, holsteins that have big yields can be variable. your angus x friesian should be fine. if you want to know butterfat/ protein levels of your cow contact NMR you can send of samples to them though might be more expensive for one cow, good luck
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:14:37 pm by Talana »

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »
Thats interesting Talana I wanted to know butter fat levels because I was primarily interested in butter and hard cheese making not drinking milk and I feel sure my Blossom's milk will make nice butter, I'm just a bit concerned about milking a cow, goats would have been easier. Its a case of lemons and lemonade though isn't it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS