Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Cambridgeshire  (Read 3662 times)

muddypuddle

• Joined Jul 2015
Hello from Cambridgeshire
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:02:42 am »
Hello,
 New to the site busy gathering more ideas for hopefully a small holding. My partner is an arable farmer, I have horses and originally from Shropshire and rural background. At the moment we just have veg and my horses (and tortoise and ferrets). We will be moving into one of the farm cottages shortly and behind is an roughly 3 and a half acres. Some of this is already down to grass and we plan to put more down to grass. The horses I think will stay at livery (for various reasons).
We would both like some pigs  :pig: so I am looking into various options for keeping them and whether to breed them ourselves or to buy in weaners. Either way I would preferably keep more than 2 or 3 if we go for weaners as I don't want to get too attached. I am not hiding my head in the sand I want to offer them a good life and reap the rewards of that too and end up with some tasty home reared meat. I would also like various poultry quail and ducks for eggs (to begin with).
Still all dreams yet but I am always open to suggestions and advice.  :) Thank you

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 08:07:55 am »
 :wave:from North Lincolnshire.  We are looking to get two or three weaners next year as a start point.  Good luck

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:17 am »
Hi muddypuddle, I am in Cambridgeshire too. You must be in a wetter part than I am though!  This is our third year keeping wearers. We had 2 Saddlebacks in year one, 4 GOS/S&B in year two and this year 4 Berkshires. We have kept them June to November then have the winter months off. Great fun, love having them, and also love doing and eating the ham and bacon. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:02:15 am »
Hello and welcome from  :raining: Carnoustie.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 09:50:13 am »
And from Devon.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:54:50 am »
hello from Lancashire
Is it time to retire yet?

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:35:23 pm »
I agree with [member=30154]pharnorth[/member] , there is a lot of clay round here, we have about 8ft of it then rock, no fen peat at all. Getting weaners is March/April and then take them September. I used Leeches at Royston.
  Find your scruffiest patch of ground  and let them turn it over, then you will no be upset when they make a mess. Easiest animal I have ever kept. Cheapest place for animal feed, Highgate Willingham unless you can get it better in bulk. Give me a pm if you want. :eyelashes:

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:40:54 pm »
Welcome, sounds like you are going along a similar path to me that took on 3.5 acres at the end of last year. I am also Cambridgeshire, Ramsey area. Whereabouts are you?

I had 2 Saddlebacks at the beginning of the year and currently have 2 GOS. I am now completely hooked on eating my own pork. Everyone I spoke to said start by rearing weaners as it is a lot cheaper than keeping a sow in feed and there is a lot of paperwork needed with breeding etc. I have to admit, it is much easier to buy weaners, there are loads of pig farmers in our area and an easy way to start. If you are nearish, happy to pass on contact details of the 2 places we got ours from.

I also buy from Highgate, although have just discovered feedability in pondersbridge which is a bit closer and a bit cheaper.
________
Caroline

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 04:30:28 pm »
Hi from Ely.

Pigs are next year's task for us, just turkeys for this year's expansion.

muddypuddle

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 04:14:09 pm »
Nice to meet lots of friendly people about :) we're not far from Ramsey at the moment. Rough how much space do people recommend per weaner? Along with feed can you feed cereals seen as my other half is arable,  I have read people feeding bruised wheat as part of a ration? Thanks

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 11:01:23 pm »
Hi from Willingham - all welcome to pop in for a cuppa when you're done shopping at Highgate!

For weaners, I run half a dozen in 25m X 25m paddocks - they just about trash that by the time they have to move on.

Ben

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:03 pm »
You are welcome to pop round and meet my pigs if you are not far, just pm me.
________
Caroline

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 02:10:08 pm »
I am near Royston.  My pig paddock is about 25m square too. It is more than I need but gives the flexibility if I go for a sow in due course.  At the other end of the spectrum you may well have visited Wimpole ( I volunteer there on a Monday) where there are hard standing pens which is also an option especially if you can combine in with a turn out paddock. 

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 10:06:47 pm »
Hi, from whitby, North Yorkshire.  :wave:
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS