Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Twin calves  (Read 9078 times)

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Twin calves
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 07:39:58 pm »
 :wave: the guy who does most of the ai and cattle breeding stuff about here rekond when the heifer could breed she was usualy one of triplets but the cow would have slipped one or reabsorbed etc . said the twins usualy came from the same egg which split but the triplets were separate eggs . not sure but made sense

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 07:51:14 pm »
Twins of different genders cannot possibly be from the same egg.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 10:19:32 pm »
It is very rare in humans but it is possible to have twins of different genders from one egg. Something to do with an extra chromosome[/size] I think.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 07:22:20 am »
Can't see how that could possibly be the case   ........... reference please
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 09:46:55 am »
Sorry missed off a word...chromosome

There can be monozygotic boy/girl twins if the sex gene of theembryo has an extra x chromosome (the fertilized egg would be an xxy) then when the egg splits, one can have xx (girl) genes and one can have xy (boy) genes. This is rare, but possible.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 10:29:49 am »
That Wiki article goes on to say
This is rare, but possible. Records show there are only 10 known cases of these type twins. The probability of this is so small that multiples having different sexes is universally accepted as a sound basis for in utero clinical determination that the multiples are not monozygotic.

So I'll stand by my statement !   :D

Twins of different genders cannot possibly be from the same egg.

The section in Wiki is about unusual twinnings in humans, there's no information as to whether it is known to ever happen in other mammals.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
Why is it when scientists explain stuff they use long words which are a struggle to pronounce? ???
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 03:44:27 pm »
Only about 10% of these male female twins are fertile according to studies. Weird that the same doesn't happen in humans and other mammals, no?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 04:06:36 pm »
I said humans and rare. The female "twin" would have no ovarian development, "Turners Syndrome".

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 10:45:13 am »
Turner syndrome is XO - the person only has a single X chromosome and so although appears female they have certain features which are common among sufferers. They are usually infertile however I know one woman who did go on to have a child despite having Turners.

I don't think you would / could get Turner from being a twin. It's more likely that it's due to the male gamete missing the X.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 09:18:39 pm »
But in spite of all these technicalities, no matter whether the twins have come from one egg or two, and regardless of how many X or Y chromosomes are present or missing, are we not still agreed that a heifer calf twinned with a bull calf, is more likely than not to be sterile? :sunshine:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 09:24:21 pm »
Or, to put it even more simply, would I risk trying to breed from a freemartin?  Answer - no.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS