Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat hoofs  (Read 4510 times)

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
Goat hoofs
« on: August 01, 2015, 07:12:07 pm »
Hi, has anyone on here ever used footvac on their goats hoofs? I know there can be complications but just want to know if anyone uses it on a yearly basis?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Goat hoofs
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:04:07 pm »
Footvax isn't licensed for goats so it would be up to the vet . It's not been tested on goats but thats not to say it wouldn't be used under the cascade system.

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »
Yes verdifish I am well aware that it is not licensed and have been the discussing it with my vet. But what I really want to know is if anyone on here has actually used it on a goat?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:56:56 pm »
Why would you need to use it? Goats should not have a recurring problem with footrot, they will usually avoid being in wet areas of a field and not be outside in rain etc. Individual incidences (most likely actually during winter when inside on deep-bedding) should be eradicated with regular footbathing, correct trimming and if necessary AB's. Then cleaning out the bedding and using a stable sanitizer there should be no recurrence.

I have not heard of any goatkeeper vaccinating their herd with footvax. Given that goats seem to have more incidences of adverse reactions to vaccines I would not try it to be honest.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:58:47 pm »
Yes verdifish I am well aware that it is not licensed and have been the discussing it with my vet. But what I really want to know is if anyone on here has actually used it on a goat?

Sorry loubylou.next time I try and answer or help I'll Don my psychic pants!  could you let us know what the vet suggested as I'm sure there's a lot of people interested

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 09:04:05 pm »
The vet said I'm welcome to use it but it does have side effects, but what my original question is; has anyone on here used it on a goat?  I have found a thread online from 2012 where a goat keeper used it. I'm just interested in people's opinions and experiences. Whether they have improved the feet or not! You don't need to be psychic for that

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 09:14:02 pm »
If any of our goats got to the point of needing footvax I'd be seriously looking at the reasons rather than a quick cure.I'd be harsh and cull. Why so harsh?  The chances are stacked in favour of this being hereditary and I don't want goats who are passing on dodgy foot conditions. If I could find out if I'd brought it in with bought in stock I'd also inform the breeder of this issue and avoid buying from them again.

The possible side effects of footvax used with goats would put me of using it as some are worse than the initial issue.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 09:26:52 pm »
Goats should NOT need to use Footvax, why would a vet suggest in using it? My vet doesn't even think it should be used on sheep - culling for repeat offenders the only sensible course of action.

Other than that I agree with verdifish.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 08:26:27 pm »
I can understand why someone would want to use footvax a goat. I have a very lovely goat who gets recurrent scald, especially in winter and in wet weather. In winter I foot bath her on an almost weekly basis to keep things under control and in the cold and driving rain neither of us enjoy it much! She is my favourite as well as being the herd queen and also a great milker. She is still producing 3-4 litres a day on once a day milking in her 3rd year after kidding so not a goat I would want to cull.
That all being said I haven't tried footvax due to the lack of evidence in goats and my concerns about adverse reactions but would also be very interested in anyone with any experience with this in goats.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 07:47:25 am »
My neighbour has a commercial herd of angora goats which are kept in all winter.  Cornwall being more than a little damp they had terrible problems with foot rot and have used Footvax with good results.  The main problem is a large lump reaction on the injection site which can become infected if the animal rubs it a lot.  It is injected twice a year so timing is key for them to avoid shearing until any lumps have subsided.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 07:55:16 am »
No. I keep Angoras and as it is dry here not had any problems. It is a useful thread Loobylou, I would like to know too. The culling option may well be right for larger flocks and gene pools but is not necessarily the answer for RBs or limited gene pools.   

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 10:21:09 am »
After much thought we have decided to give it a try, we have researched it and spoke to many who use it with great results. Just ordered a 50 dose from the vet. We will trial it on a batch first before we do the others. Keeping fingers crossed :)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 01:34:12 pm »
please keep us up to date with your experience.  It's something several people may find useful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS