Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drying up?  (Read 2704 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Drying up?
« on: August 01, 2015, 04:12:46 pm »
I collected my first sheep 3 weeks ago, (3 Wiltshire horn ewes), and their lambs hadn't been weaned from them.  I was told to keep them on poor grass at first until their udders had dried up to prevent mastitis.
I penned off part of their field which didn't have much rich grass in it and they are now running out of grass.  They have been kept in this pen for all 3 weeks and I was wondering if that is long enough before letting them into the whole field? 
Their udders have got a lot smaller but they haven't completely dried off yet.

I'd be glad of comments from other on what you do after weaning.

Thanks   :)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Drying up?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:57:29 pm »
Three weeks should be plenty of time, as long as the udders are decreasing in size then give them more grazing, if you have a lot of grass then give them a bit at a time to see what the udders do. They shouldn't start to fill again, have a feel to check no lumps or bumps  if you're worried.  :thinking:

Loobylou

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:34:45 pm »
I'm not sure how true it is, but I read somewhere that the mint herb is supposed to dry them up. It's maybe worth a go?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 12:59:22 am »
The udders don't shrink to nothing, they just stop being big and turgid.  By the time you are checking your girls before tupping, they'll be smaller and more floppy, but not completely flat.

I'd do as Melmarsh suggests, let them onto the rest of the grass steadily and keep a watching brief.  If it's clover-rich it might stimulate production, otherwise, after 3 weeks without their lambs, they should be fine.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:17:01 am »
Three weeks should be ample time - it's the lambs suckling that stimulates milk production - they'll start to dry up within a day or so without it.  I've rarely had poor grazing to put my ewes on after weaning - they bawl for half a day as their udders become uncomfortably full, then stop.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:24:32 am »
Thanks all...

I have plenty of mint around the garden so I'll give that a go.

There isn't much clover in the field, but I think I'll do what Melmarsh suggests and will let them onto a new piece of grazing, and slowly increase the amount. 

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »
Thank you, very helpful, I am weaning mine tomorrow so I now have a field plan......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS