Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Squitty shearling  (Read 6605 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Squitty shearling
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:19:21 pm »
I've got a very nice NCM shearling who is in good health, but ever since I got her in May she has had very loose droppings and her back end is a mess despite being dagged.  Obviously, this is a worry for fly strike.

Any ideas why this might be and what I can do about it?

The other 19 in the flock, who arrived from the same source at the same time, are all completely fine and have been from the outset.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Squitty shearling
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »
I assume she's wormed and fluked?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 06:17:03 pm »
They were all dosed just before they came to me and I'm about to do worm them again.  I guess there's a possibility she was missed.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:22:19 pm »
Might be resistatnce to the wormer used.  Can you find out which it was or take a FEC sample?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 01:30:29 am »
Fec, like said above you could have some white resistance there

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 08:48:05 pm »
Wouldn't it be likely that all the sheep who had been wormed with the same product and who came from the same location all be showing symptoms if the worms were resistant?  :thinking:

I'll worm again, as I was intending anyway and see if she's still got a problem after that.

Thanks for suggesting worms: I was thinking gut flora imbalance or rumen problems or something along those lines...

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:30:47 pm »
try changing her diet - my hebrideans all produce nice pellets year round on long unimproved grass land but 3-4 of them have downright dioreah on modern rye-grass leys, the others are fine.... these are also all related so I assume a genetic thing, not a problem on a mountain side but on a modern lowland field.... it is.

Put them back on rougher land or feed hay and they improve.

Had mules in the past similar - soft on rye dominated grassland but normal on older pasture / cocksfoot based leys.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:31:28 pm »
She's either missed or maybe the grass is going through her.get her dosed, vet may say white drench may go for a different one, depending on what they find.Either way may be worth giving her some multi vit , as the scouring will be compromising the nutrients she can absorb. If she looking a little down perhaps some electrolytes would help to replace salts n sugars. Trim her back and in this case I would put on crovect.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:42:05 pm by Hellybee »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:46:21 pm »
My vet says that they don't need to be loose to have worms, it maybe well worth taking a group fec just to make sure.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 11:02:16 pm »
It is normal for them to have a worm burden, aiming for worm free is unrealistic. Adult sheep shouldn't need routine worming for run of the mill worms

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 11:20:12 pm »
cocci? fec should help identify this as a possibility

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 11:32:42 pm »
Affecting one shearling ewe?

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 11:51:47 pm »
I have one 2 year old ewe with persistent scour, all the rest of my flock are clean.  I took a sample to my vet in April before she lambed, vet said all worm counts were very low, and probably not fluke as she hasn't lost condition.  His advice was she may have something like IBS and I should cull her after she's reared her lamb, which is what I plan to do.  I did worm/fluke her (Endospec) anyway just in case, a few weeks ago, and it seemed to help but only briefly, she's now just as scoury as she was before. 
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 01:43:34 am »
FEC to find out whats going on and then probably mark her as a cull.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 03:31:42 pm »
I don't think of a yearling as quite an adult yet..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS