Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapse  (Read 3040 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Prolapse
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:22:54 am »
my first chicken to have a prolapse. Fortunately I found her just as it had happened I think, so the others didn't have a chance to peck at her.  I have isolated her, cleaned her, used witch hazel and Prep H and popped it all back in, but she just keeps "pooping" it all out again.  Any advice? 

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:40:32 am »
Unless she is especially loved I would say, harsh as it is ,dispatch her. Otherwise a vet. job and lots of money! Unless others have better advise :fc:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:11:00 am »
Is there an egg stuck inside the prolapse?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:51:14 pm »
Don't think there is an egg, although the prolapse is huge.  Will check on her later, and report back...

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:13:08 pm »
Manuka honey cream should be used in the area Greenerlife. When you push the prolapse back in with a lubricated finger, hold your finger there for a while to allow muscle contraction to move the prolapse back into the correct position. Patience is the key as you may be doing this regularly for a few days. Put her in isolation so she doesn't get it pecked and feed her wheat only -this will stop her laying and pushing it out again before it has healed.

Haemorrhoid cream is counter-productive and worsens the condition. The words of a BHWT vet I was recently told. An operation can be done which is 98% effective, but rather expensive. we have ordered Manuka Honey cream for our first aid kit - it's also for human use.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 02:12:32 pm »
Don't think there is an egg, although the prolapse is huge.  Will check on her later, and report back...

Usually a large egg is the cause of the prolapse, if the eggs still in there and can't be eased out I break the end of it and gently crush the shell so it can be removed

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 02:40:24 pm »
Speaking from experience ..... Keep pushing the prolapse back in, after cleaning of course. You may have to do it 5 or 6 times a day. After a couple of days ours stayed put but she never laid again  :(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:32:20 pm »
We used haemorrhoid cream with great success on the few birds that ever suffered from it, and they laid as normal afterwards. It needed to be very gently pushed all the way back in a few times and that was it. Tried several creams, I think Anusol worked best.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 11:52:06 am »
Sadly, I think I will have to cull her this afternoon.  :'(   Tried, but she seems to just 'poop' it out each time, and I have tried many times.  Her comb is good and she seems cheerful enough (although she wants to be with the other girls) but I think it's only fair. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS