Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I tame adult goats  (Read 4225 times)

kreativekim

• Joined Jul 2015
How do I tame adult goats
« on: July 21, 2015, 05:27:52 pm »
Hi, I need help taming 2 male goats.  I had 2 goats from kids, years ago and they were very tame.  I have just rescued a 11 year old, full billy and a 14 month old, full billy, they are the only goats I have.  These goats are far from tame, you can't even get within 20 feet of them.  I know it is going to take a long time to get their trust, but their hooves are in a really bad way and need doing now.  They also won't go in their shelter when it rains.  Can someone give me some advise on this situation, I would be most grateful.  Kim:) :goat:

HappyHippy

Re: How do I tame adult goats
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 06:56:26 pm »
Digestive biscuits  :thumbsup:
We had a wild GG, couldn't get near her. After about a week she would come to us warily and after a fortnight she was our best pal  :innocent:
Don't rush into feet trimming as you'll undo the trust, give it a bit of time first.
HTH

kreativekim

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:34:29 pm »
Thank you very much, you have put my mind at rest.  KIM:)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:59:25 pm »
Why on earth would you rescue an 11 yo entire billy??? ???

Is he going to be used for breeding? I would have thought an 11yo goat that is wild is beyond taming...

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:14:42 pm »
Food! I don't know how you are keeping them but I would suggest that you need to make them associate you with good things like food. If facilities allow I would restrict access to nice grazing (but give adlib hay) by making their area small and visit them frequently with tasty feed. Ideally I would bring them indoors into a stable and deliver forage and tasty feed by hand. Sit with them - not too close - let them make the choice to come to you.  As said - if feet not causing immediate problem then I would leave them.  If you are concerned they need doing asap might be as well to get vet to sedate them, castrate and foot trim at the same time. Good luck

kreativekim

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:31:22 am »
Thank you so much, we do have an ideal housing in which to keep them and I think this is the best way to go, I shall enquire at the vets for feet trimming and castration, we just need to catch them now!
Kim:)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:07:43 pm »
Good luck - at least if vet comes out you can check general health and worm them etc.  You will need to be mindful of your own safety if they are in a confined area - always give them an escape route i.e. somewhere to go to.  I admire you taking on such old and neglected (if feet anything to go by) goats Yes catching may be your issue! - can sedative be put into feed or use a dart gun? RSPCA have officers in regions who can dart if all else fails!

kreativekim

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 08:08:01 pm »
Thank once again.  Kim:)

kreativekim

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 10:25:38 am »
Update:  A few days ago I bought another billy (6 months old) which has changed the dynamics quite considerably, I can now get within 2ft of them without them running away.  It has been a very wet summer in Ireland this year, but on the dry days I have been sitting out in the garden with them and they have come out of hiding to give a good looking over.  My main concern now is Bill's hoof problem.  When we got him his hooves were about 8" long, my husband and I had to catch him, which didn't go down well.  I managed to cut 4" off the overgrown hooves, but didn't wish to take to much off in case it caused more problems, I shall be cutting them once a week until they are back to normal.
Bill is about 13 years old, his testicles have shrunk to nothing..... is this normal or should I be concerned?  :raining: from (sunny) Ireland.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS