Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thistles  (Read 5837 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Thistles
« on: July 06, 2015, 02:56:34 pm »
We have a field of prize winning thistles. All just about to flower. Best plan for managing the problem? Have to be by hand. I have knapsack, grazon weed killer and a strimmer. ( and enthusiasm)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Thistles
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 03:08:39 pm »
I was just going out with the 'slasher' (like a strong bill hook on long shaft), but it's started raining again, reprieve for now but must get it done, they've gone crazy this year. will cut down and hit regrowth with glyposate.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:19:16 pm »
The dogs kindly collect all thistles in their tails for us  ::)
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:55:27 pm »
There are two types of invasive thistles in Britain - spear and creeping. 
Creeping thistle will eventually respond to repeated mowing or grazing right down.  We've not tried weedkiller with them.
Spear thistles need to be dealt with by hand.  The only way to remove them completely is to dig them right out, one by one.  The most efficient way to do that is to make a T shape at the stem with a sharp spade, then ease out the entire root in a one-er, which barely leaves a hole behind. The spade goes in vertically on one side of the plant, the 'stem' of the 'T' is at right angles to the thistle, on the opposite side.  This is done at this time of year, when the flower stem is up but the flower hasn't opened.  Too soon and they grow back but multistemmed, later and the seeds have blown everywhere.  There's no need to use any chemicals at all.
We know this because we've tried everything, except weed killer because we'd rather disappear in a sea of thistles than pour chemicals on our land.  Anyway, if you use chemicals to kill the plants, you still have to collect and dispose of the dead material, otherwise it sticks to you and your livestock and gets caught in the hay
When we first realised we had a problem, we just about had disappeared under a sea of the things.  We kept getting the timing wrong - because of course there's plenty of other stuff going on right now.  Eventually we paid our eldest grandson to remove every thistle from 4 paddocks, totalling about 5 acres.  he did quite a good job, and the following year there were far fewer to contend with.  Each year we dug them out and built a huge funeral pyre for them.  This year, there were only 2 wheelbarrow loads, so a funeral pyre for a mouse.   So it takes a few years of work, but you can get there in the end.
It's so important not to let them seed that we sometimes extend our digging onto our neighbour's land to get an odd one.  Just that one can reseed your entire holding for the next several years.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:58:45 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:14:57 pm »
I pulled all mine out by hand (in June/July i think), after it had rained so the soil was softer. The following year I hardly had any.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 06:39:28 pm »
Buy a couple of horses....mine eat them

OR... ( and a  lot cheaper  :D )... glyphosate
Is it time to retire yet?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:18:41 pm »

Do you know that every single person in Britain now has detectable levels of glyphosate in their bodies?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 10:41:01 pm »
Good to know I have been doing right. I have been pulling mine up by hand but oohh so many. This is my first year so trying to get on top of them
________
Caroline

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 10:45:25 pm »
The Fell ponies do a great job on them, the Dales don't touch them ;)

Our neighbour one side digs hers up every year, including in the roadside verges, and I discovered this week that she also does the field we graze that is next to her ground.   :-[

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 11:16:20 pm »
Goats like thistles.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:03:49 am »
The. Wolf thistle puller is the answer for spear thistles ..... Best gadget ever!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 09:28:12 am »

Do you know that every single person in Britain now has detectable levels of glyphosate in their bodies?

I didn't but Im not surprised. Im sure there is a lot more than merely a detectable level in my body given the Knotweed Ive killed
Is it time to retire yet?

A Guest

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 12:34:58 pm »
we'd rather disappear in a sea of thistles than pour chemicals on our land.  .

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more. Thanks very much for your input on this thread. I have a mammoth task with thistles and the battle shall now commence. Armed with a Fiskars Weed Puller (seen on amazon, amazing reviews) I am sure I will win in the end!

I am off for a Glyphosphate test. What I would like to know is whether the directors of Glaxo, Monsanto or whichever other NWO organisation owns it, have the same levels as the average person in their precious bodies. If not, I could willingly help ensure they do. :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:00:31 am by Dan »

A Guest

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 01:18:19 pm »
Suppository it is then, you are full of good suggestions :D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:00:37 am by Dan »

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 01:37:28 pm »
Last year I had a paddock with 5 foot high spear thistles, I waited for a prolonged dry spell and before the heads flowered I donned a stout pair of rigger type gloves and spent hours pulling them up by the roots so there was no regrowth. they were then put on a bonfire and allowed to dry out completely together with a load of ragwort also pulled up and burnt. The resultant potash was beneficially distributed on the soil.
The thing that annoyed me was that the so called farmer 'next door' was the source of all these weeds including docks, which he had allowed to multiply all over his fields and the winds blew all the seeds into my property  :rant: . I'm still pulling the second years crop of ragwort now and weedkilling the docks, I have however had words with him as he has another wonderful crop of ragwort and 5 foot high thistles again this year - he's finally gone round with a knapsack sprayer and weedkilled them. Talk about bad land/grassland management >:( .

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS