Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Day three of having goats....  (Read 3943 times)

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
Re: Day three of having goats....
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 12:17:22 pm »
Your cheese looks really good  ;D  We've been making soft cheese from our goats which is proving to be lovely, I had a pot of the cheap soft cheese from tesco and did a taste test, I couldn't believe how sweet the tesco stuff was compared to our own cheese, they must put a lot of sugar in it.

How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
    • New Start, New Life in Bulgaria
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 06:53:56 pm »
I admit I'm struggling to get used to goat milk snd cheese, but it's early days and I think we have a system going now which will avoid the goaty tang. You can get used to anything if you want to. :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 01:27:20 pm »
I admit I'm struggling to get used to goat milk snd cheese, but it's early days and I think we have a system going now which will avoid the goaty tang. You can get used to anything if you want to. :)
pop the milk in the freezer for an hour or 2.
tip - if using glass jars don't forget them and let them freeze solid, esp if filled near the top, I've cracked a very useful jar that I could get my hand in to clean out thoroughly  :(

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
    • New Start, New Life in Bulgaria
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 01:55:40 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Actually, I have no kitchen sink and the rest of the kitchen is upsidedown at the moment so all the milk is in the freezer until I have it all back to normal, I just leave a bit out for coffee. At least I know it's safe and fresh. we bought a few dozen plastic honey pots for when it's time to harvest so that's what we are using to freeze the milk in. I think I might need a bigger freezer!. The milk definitely tasts better straight from the milking

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS