Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg eating  (Read 5412 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Egg eating
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 08:59:02 am »
You could try, if you think they are a bit bored, putting a bit of grain in small plastic bottles (minus lids and labels) and putting them in the run. Hopefully they will be too busy to think about eggs :fc:

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 01:08:25 pm »
After 2 days separation, things seem much calmer! One of the three isolated girls is leaving a broken egg, one is okay but the other girl hasn't laid for 2 days.  They seem fairly happy.  There seems to be less aggression and argy bargy so fingers crossed!  :gloomy:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 02:28:46 pm »
I've just found a smashed egg in the nesting box with four others round it, all sticky.  I've had a couple before, but softer shells, so discounted it.

With 9 hens I have absolutely no idea how to find out which one is doing it and how to stop it.  Think I'll just have to put up with wasting an egg a day and cleaning the nest box every day.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 04:51:09 pm »
Thin shelled eggs may be down to the hens getting older and the same amount of eggshell being distributed over larger eggs, rather than idetary insufficinecy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS