Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and Forests  (Read 2361 times)

Gbrash

• Joined Jul 2014
Pigs and Forests
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:33:54 am »
Hi, we're about to launch our smallholding adventure in north wales and are looking at our options. The property we're purchasing is on a forested slope (on the side of a valley) and we have about 3 or 4 acres of potential habitat.. so my questions are thus:
1) How do pigs fare on a slope - do they prefer level ground?
2) How much space per pig would be best in this type of environment?
3) What would be the best breed of pig for this type of environment?
4) If they're foraging naturally, how the hell would I collect them for their last voyage?

Hope someone can help!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Pigs and Forests
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:20:44 am »
1. Pigs can cope with slopes but there are slopes and slopes. Older, heavier pigs are generally happier on something less steep but growing pigs should be fine.
2. How many pigs are you thinking of? 3/4 acres for a couple of weaners is too big.
3. Traditional breeds would be best. Breeds are a personal choice. There will be plenty of cover if it is forested so shade from the sun.
4. They will still need food even foraging naturally so they will come to a bucket/bag. Do you have trailer access to the area?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:38:51 am »
How will you fence it?  How will you get the trailer to them?  Do you have level ground for a pig ark?  Does it have a permanent water supply?  If you put weaners on lots of greenery you risk an impacted gut.  When do you plan to raise them - bear in mind Winter conditions in N Wales.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »
I may be a bit biased but kune kunes are woodland pigs and will do less damage to to woodland floor than most breeds ,I wouldn't bother giving them arks as they will make nests and ignore all your hard work and Or money spent ,4 acres is a lot of woodland to fence in so id source kunes born and bred behind electric fencing as they wont escape and you can create a rotation through the woodland by moving it .i would also fell clearances within the woodland as not only is this good Silva cultural practice but will give the pigs sun spots !
We had plans to do this commercially over 80 acres with kunes but politics got in the way so if you need any advice let me know !

Gbrash

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 12:43:34 pm »
Hey, thanks for replying, everyone.. OK so:
Trailer access: Yes, there's trailer access so of course I could lead them to it once they've learned to feed from a bag. Duh.
How will you fence it?  It's already fenced down the one side of the boundary - if it's something I end up being really keen to do I'd fence an  area off for them. I wouldn't have thought I'd keep more than 3 or 4 pigs. Roughly how much space would they need?
Do you have level ground for a pig ark?  Yes - there are some plateaus which could work for an ark.
Does it have a permanent water supply?  A steam runs alongside the boundary but not sure if that's suitable unless I rigged up a way to divert some water to allow them to wallow. For drinking water I think I'd be able to put in a trough along the boundary.
When do you plan to raise them - bear in mind Winter conditions in N Wales: Presumably I'd raise them over Spring/Summer? 

Verdifish - I saw kune kunes when I was researching but I guess I discounted them due to the fact that they were kiwi pigs and not native to the UK - I love the idea of the electric fencing as well, if it works - I'll certainly get in touch for advice if I get that far! The woodland has a lot of bramble and stinging nettle in it at the moment - presumably I'd need to clear that?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:53:57 pm »
Clearing stuff and then putting pigs is is like having a dog and going for barking lessons ! Pigs will clear all of this themselves ,they are industrious wee beasties . And as for kunes not being native most British breeds have euro influences unless they are wild boar !! But kunes will surprise you with their ,taste ,robustness,amount of meat return pro deadweight and cuteness!

Gbrash

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:53:41 pm »
Ha. great analogy.. I assumed they'd clear undergrowth but just wasn't sure about the brambles.. thanks for the advice - and I'll try and resist the cuteness otherwise we will just end up with very old pigs living in the house.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 02:05:13 pm »
we had tamworths on a steep slope though they did have an option to more level ground. if the land is wooded, then the roots hold the ground together so more grip and less mud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS