Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Denzel - another hurdle  (Read 3501 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Denzel - another hurdle
« on: June 29, 2015, 12:38:25 pm »
 >:(

In a way good, in a way bad.

He is my

blind
old
traumatised
brain injured
former bulgarian chain dog.

.... yes, he hasn't got a lot going for him but actually, he can be a sweetie and inside is a lovely little dog.

He has his own page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Denzels-journey-to-happiness/1436384803288011?ref=bookmarks

We've just worked out, as well as blind, he is profoundly deaf....

I need to start working on some better solutions for him.  A lot of the stuff I've done isn't really suitable for him now....

I am not giving up on him yet.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Denzel - another hurdle
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 02:12:19 pm »
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:17:43 pm »
Whats his quality of life like? Blind, deaf and brain damaged sounds like a really tough combination on the old chap.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »
Poor old chap  :hug:

Had a blind dog but he could hear and was well trained and loved before he lost his sight although a kennel dog so some adjustment to house life was needed.

If he wasn't so afraid then I guess 'touch' and being 'led' at times by an able dog was the way forward but given his other issues then you are probably the only one who can find answers .... probably by trial and error.

Is he happy/ content / comfortable for most of the time? Loves his food, his bed, his potters outside?  Suppose it's really about his quality of life and simple enjoyment.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:24:46 pm »
Using vibrations is the only way forward I can think of - stomping so the floor moves before you approach him closely, or some vibration before you touch him but realistically whatever you do is probably still going to make him jump and is unlikely to result in progress, maybe even in regression, esp with his issues.

Tough choice  :hug:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 07:01:01 am »
Do you know what?.... since I found out on Saturday he was deaf, it's been MUCH better.  I click next to his ear before I touch him and that has stopped him jumping when I touch him.

In fairness he has borderline quality of life but he enjoys liver, a cosy bed and cuddles.  He is stresed by other dogs and gets lost sometimes but he has enough quality for me not to consider PTS.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 12:53:34 pm »
That's brill news ..... maybe this is a bit of a break through!  :hug:

At least it gives you more insight into his world and lets you think of more appropriate ways of dealing with his issues. No wonder he is jumpy .

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
    • New Start, New Life in Bulgaria
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:16:03 am »
Just read Denzel's story through on here. I am glad you are feeling better about things now and good on you for not pushing him into being the perfect pet (some do)

Living in Bulgaria we see thousands of what you call 'chain' dogs, pitiful scraps who are usually tied incredibly short so unable to do the job they are supposed to be there for (guard), and vulnerable to attack by other dogs and jackals. As you mention they are rarely touched even though the law states they should have all the things a UK dog has, including shelter, appropriate food and all the vaccinations needed here. They are lucky if they have an old piece of wood to shelter under and are fed bread and milk or whey with the odd bone if they are lucky. They are tough, often small as Bulgarians are frightened of dogs, especially big ones, and have the most awful mental and physical ailments, as you have found. (the strange way he held himself could have been because he was constantly fighting a very tight chain from a very tight collar. The same happens to foals as they have to go everywhere with Mum, who is back to work as soon as te afterbirth passes, foal tied to mum)

But by and large the population are not cruel, it's just the way things have always been done and in the villages they are very insulated against education, extremely poor, very private and worried that thieves and predators are everywhere, hence most houses are surrounded by high walls and metal gates. Village houses have around half an acre with buildings, stock live in sheds except when the sheep/cows/goats are taken to graze by the village shepherd. It has always been this way and will take a long time to change. The reverence our neighbours show their and our animals and their veg is something to behold. They adore them and are not there at slaughter which is done at home. They love their nine month old bitch too, but have been frightened of her from six week old fluff ball, horrified when I picked her up for a cuddle. Her story so far is not for here, maybe I will tell it later. She is a chain dog who lives under a trailer, they talk to her all the time but are scared to touch. They are not cruel, just uneducated and only do what their ancesters do. So please don't judge them by our standars.

Hopefully change will come and Denzel's peers will have a better life in the future. Maybe the above will go some way to explaining why there are so many poor dogs like him. I do admire you taking him on, but at the same time he must have been highly traumatised from being freed from the only security and life he ever had, handled, then driven in a tiny (to him) box to more strangers in a strange country and a house . Bless him and you.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:39:49 am »
He wasn't "rescued" as far as I know.  He was p wandering dangerously alone on a main road and picked up by the dog catcher and put in the shelter in Yambol.... deaf and blind.  My friend in Bulgaria who took him out explained that Bulgarian's  often let loose their unwanted dogs as they are "giving them a chance".  She believes he was let loose in this way.

He couldn't cope in the shelter at all (being blind and deaf) and my friend took him out but, he wasn't used to other dogs and couldn't cope at her house.... so I brought him over believing he was only blind.  He was a foster from blind dog rescue uk and the hope was to find him a very elderly person of his own living in a very quiet way.

BDRUK have had good success in housing old blind dogs with people in their 80's who aren't fit enough to do long walks but have a garden and the wish to have a companion.  My last foster was a 12ish year old Romanian rescue who went to such a home and had a fantastic final 2 years, such as she had never known in her entire life, before he and then she died.

I do accept what you are saying for some people, but I am sorry there is a lot of animal cruelty in Bulgaria.   Far more than in the UK.    It isn't all "talking kindly but not touching in ignorance"

Denzel is better here than on a chain and abandoned in a very poor shelter.... I celebrate the happiness, of whatever type, he can enjoy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:22:21 am by Kitchen Cottage »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 10:02:28 pm »
Just saw this online and thought of you and Denzel
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS