Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 332472 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #675 on: July 02, 2016, 11:18:31 pm »
Cleaning out buildings for shearers on Sunday. Waiting for a buffalo cow to calve, hoping for a heifer :excited: and trying not to think about the broody! Managed to clean out calves building today, the muck does build up in one day doesn't it? I let em out during the day anyway so they get excercise and grass which is good for their gut. Also trying to gage when to cut for hay, looks like a few weeks away maybe? :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #676 on: July 07, 2016, 12:27:58 pm »
apparently 2 good days for cutting, not sure if that will be enough for haylage? Sorting out veg garden weeding and such. All sheep were sheared ages ago now, just getting ready for putting them onto new pasture now. So not much ;)
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #677 on: July 11, 2016, 05:20:49 pm »
Cutting and hacking at overgrown elder that has been hacked before but keeps pushing into the spaces I create.  Got a huge heap of them, plus loads of fenceline nettles cut and am trying to identify where the electric mains fence is shorting out now I've removed that likely culprit. 

I've found a bit that clicks or doesn't but never registers on the new fence tester I bought after the old one couldn't find anything.  Tractor clearing the pen of muck a month or so ago pulled up an under-fence line and tho it's been replaced I imagine this section got pulled in the process and isn't connected right.  Ponies are leaning over fences in all directions, so I know it isn't working very well, it has a good kick when it's firing on all tickers!

Once that is sorted, back to ragwort pulling, my hour a day is gradually making visible progress on the back field but I've still half to do and the front paddock after that, so will be ongoing for the foreseeable future!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #678 on: July 11, 2016, 05:36:14 pm »
Wishing you all the best with it all [member=6264]ellied[/member]  I have been stretching today and mum gave me a massage with cream which has devils claw in it and it has really loosened me up, I am getting the slight twinges but they seem to be going a bit. I managed to feed the calves their milk and we seperated the week old baby last night, so been bottle feeding her. Managed to wean 2 big calves off milk, only for them to cry to me whenever i go out, breaks my heart but has to be done. Now looking at weather forecast with dinner on the go and steaming hot apple pies, delicious! :yum:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #679 on: July 14, 2016, 09:37:25 pm »
Consulting the Brothers Grimm weather forecasting service , might as well be as every forecaster is different   :-\
I think I'm going to cut for haylage on Saturday   :fc: :fc: , there again..........

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #680 on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:47 pm »
feeling anxious and nervous about next weekend, family visiting and I am in no mood to see them atm ::) It will soon pass  ;D  trying to rest after a long day and bed late last night too!  looking at weather forecast for cutting for hay, hopefully next week :excited: I hope it goes well for you [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] ! :thumbsup:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #681 on: July 15, 2016, 06:14:54 pm »
Recovering after three days looking round the Great Yorkshire Show.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #682 on: July 16, 2016, 07:12:18 pm »
Having watched the rainfall radar image plot ,consulted the seaweed, and made a sacrifice to M nature I cut the grass to the delight of the swallows and the lone sparrow hawk who I no longer brake for as he /she dives down to the mower to pick up supper ! My devoted audience watched me for 2 hours from his vantage point on the roller,waiting no doubt for the sparrow hawks discards , yes the ginger tom making his plans...
All in all a nice afternoon, the process that now cannot be stopped has commenced  :fc: :fc: :fc:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #683 on: July 16, 2016, 09:15:03 pm »
very wet weather here today, mud everywhere. Beans are rotting, as is everything else. Plus side is abbatoir rang and said buffalo meat will be ready in 2 days, 2-3 wks since slaughter. Can't wait!  :excited: :yum:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #684 on: July 17, 2016, 09:39:33 am »
Do you sell it WBF? I would love to try some.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #685 on: July 17, 2016, 11:57:16 am »
Trying to sort out ram lambs for market and going to be going through animals to check feet, take someones sheep back to them which got into my field, fence is fixed so not a problem.
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #686 on: July 18, 2016, 07:26:54 am »
As well as the ongoing ragworting, I've been hacking through the weeds in the orchard to let me shift the wee chook pen along a few feet.  The 4 POLs in there don't have a huge amount of space so I like to give them a new bit every day and was rewarded with lots of digging and dustbathing.  The free rangers have had a good look while helping me so I hope they'll be relatively ready to integrate in a wee while, then I can put the legbars (3.5 weeks) and broody in there by the time they need out of the dog pen. 

Meantime I also took the 1 week sussex/bluebells out of a box in the spare bedroom and into a large new space in the garage, which they were intimidated by but are now running and wingbeating around like speed demons.  Real timewasters they are, I just can't help watching the antics. 
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #687 on: August 02, 2016, 09:37:15 pm »
Not much lol. Trying to catch a few sheep which seem to have developed flystrike, must be all this weird weather. >:(

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #688 on: August 03, 2016, 01:04:40 pm »
Been stuck in the office longing to be at home with my furry/fleecey/feathery family!
Feeling cheated that my little puppy is growing so much and I'm missing it all happening by being stuck here. Note to self: buy lottery ticket!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #689 on: August 03, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »
It seems to be a hairy kind of day, got up early to milk our Red Poll cow before OH went off to physio, then waited for M-I-L to get up so I could perm her hair (a first for me!! quite pleased with the result) and then felt on a roll so clipped the dog as well all before lunch, the dog was easier than M-I-L .
Now it's pouring with rain so am on the computer sorting out Semen and the AI man, another first, and trying to find yesterdays pig movement for the 2 wearers we bought yesterday. All go here  :raining: . Think I may sneak off and do some embroidery in a minute  :excited:
So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS