Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jersey beef north Cumbria or overnight courier  (Read 1886 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Jersey beef north Cumbria or overnight courier
« on: May 30, 2015, 05:05:18 pm »
Looking to sell part of an outdoor-reared grass-fed homebred Jersey heifer directly from the butcher's premises.  It will be well-hung before butchering and should taste delicious.  Jersey beef is well-flavoured and very lean.

I haven't done this before so please feel free to contact me to discuss your requirements.  There is a possibility of including hogget in a mixed box if required.

Meat will be fresh for you to use or freeze on arrival.

Looking at what others do, it seems the norm to make up boxes of 10kgs of a mix of steaks, a roasting joint and a braising joint, some stewing meat, some mince and some burgers, for around £10/kg.  I have to look into packaging and courier costs, which I will need to recoup.

I have a thread in Cattle where I would love to get more general comments and advice - I am a complete noob at this! 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:16:56 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: Jersey beef north Cumbria or overnight courier
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 12:12:06 pm »

The heifer is booked in and the butcher plans to hang the meat for 21 days - although he says that if it's very lean, he may recommend hanging it for slightly shorter a time.  If it's 21 days then we'd be sending packs out to arrive Tuesday 30th June.  (So, assuming summer has arrived by then, it might be best to go for the 10am delivery.)

Postage and packing for 10kgs meat, packed in polystyrene with chiller strips and couriered in vans suitable for carrying perishable items would be:

Overnight courier, to arrive by 10am the following morning, £27.15.  Arriving by noon is slightly cheaper, £22.45. 

For collection (or very local delivery), packaging would be £6.  I can do reasonably local deliveries for fuel on top (and drive a fuel-efficient car - 60mpg diesel.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 08:30:33 pm »
I should add that there's no markup on the packaging and courier; those prices are what it'll cost me to package and send - and do include VAT.

If you wanted to reduce the p&p (and aren't local to me) then the only thing I could suggest is if a few of you wanted to get a bigger box between you?  (And/or have more room in your freezer!)  I would have to get quotes for boxes and courier, but it would be bound to work out less per kilo.  Do ask if you want me to price any other weights up. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »
All sold.

Huge thanks to everyone who kindly shared their experience and advice; it's made it a whole lot easier to organise!

Thank you also to everyone who expressed interest, and especially of course those who have ordered!

Provided it all works well and all the recipients are delighted, and the butcher isn’t saying, “Never again!”!, we might look to do this regularly - once or possibly even twice a year - although it would mostly be Jersey x Angus or other beef breed, or a more beefy type.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS