Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: should we get a dog?  (Read 1866 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
should we get a dog?
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:00:41 pm »
You know the phrase: "when it's not broke......"
Well, life is good, a little (20+) flock of rare breed sheep, half a dozen chickens who free range the garden all day, three wonderful black cats, the occasional pig....

And now the opportunity of bringing to the party a border collie cross huntaway puppy...

IF we proceeded, we'd definitely commit to proper training (for us and the dog!), and we'd imagine wanting the dog to do a little sheep work (but this is a very modest small-holding), and we would still want the chickens to free range, and we would definitely want our cats (who are all under 3, but who've not lived with dogs before) to continue with their happy, household domination!

Are we mad?  Should we count are blessings and leave the menagerie as it is? Or can the arrival of a new species lead to a happy ending for everyone?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: should we get a dog?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:29:15 pm »
Depends on  the age of the dog - an adult or older pup could cause mayhem in that set up  :roflanim:  If you're getting a  puppy you can train it from the start - but you will have to be pretty on the ball with the hens.  The cats will sort it out if it's a pup, and that cross should be easily trained to work sheep, but I'm not sure 20 will be enough for it. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 10:22:07 pm »
that cross of dog should be very trainable but VERY BARKY!!! 
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 06:20:17 pm »
locking this now, and the chicken post, just leaving the sheep one (don't know how to link them) - very sorry I didn't realise that there was a 'non-multiple' posting rule - know now, and see that there's plenty of info about it - bad me for not looking up about it first.
thanks for replies - everything appreciated.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS