Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: should we get a dog  (Read 1641 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
should we get a dog
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:59:54 pm »
You know the phrase: "when it's not broke......"
Well, life is good, a little (20+) flock of rare breed sheep, half a dozen chickens who free range the garden all day, three wonderful black cats, the occasional pig....

And now the opportunity of bringing to the party a border collie cross huntaway puppy...

IF we proceeded, we'd definitely commit to proper training (for us and the dog!), and we'd imagine wanting the dog to do a little sheep work (but this is a very modest small-holding), and we would still want the chickens to free range, and we would definitely want our cats (who are all under 3, but who've not lived with dogs before) to continue with their happy, household domination!

Are we mad?  Should we count are blessings and leave the menagerie as it is? Or can the arrival of a new species lead to a happy ending for everyone?

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Re: should we get a dog
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:51:09 pm »
If you want a dog and you have time (important to have time) go for it.  The after a initial bit of chaos all the animals will sort of find their place and settle down, even the cats.

If you don't have time, don't get one.  Unlike all you other animals dogs don't just do their own thing (unless they are doing something they shouldn't).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:59:17 pm »
As I said on the other thread. (confusing having same post on two threads by the way  ;) )

Depends on  the age of the dog - an adult or older pup could cause mayhem in that set up  :roflanim:  If you're getting a  puppy you can train it from the start - but you will have to be pretty on the ball with the hens.  The cats will sort it out if it's a pup, and that cross should be easily trained to work sheep, but I'm not sure 20 will be enough for it. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 11:21:37 pm »
My first thought is - if you have to ask, then don't.    Did you choose this cross breed, or is it one you have been offered from out of the blue?  Any shepherd dog wants nothing more than to work.  With only 20 sheep, it's either going to be extremely bored and get up to mischief, or the sheep will be run ragged.  Depending on the breed, primitives are not as easy to work with a dog as the flocking breeds, so perhaps for new owners with a new dog, you would be better with choosing a different breed which is not wanting to work the sheep (and hens), and to choose that breed carefully.  We have trained our Jack Russel to help with the sheep on the odd occasion, which he does well, but the rest of the time he's on friendly terms with them all and would never chase them.
My opinion - I'm sure there will be plenty of others.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 12:04:47 am »
I understand why you would post this in three places, but it's really best to run the conversation in only one.

Can I suggest linking this and the Sheep one to the one in Dogs, and then locking this and the Sheep one?

That way, folks on all three boards get to see the question and all are led to just one place to read / participate in the discussion.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 06:17:40 pm »
Huge apologies for multiple posts - have locked this and chickens, and left the sheep post (where I spend most of my time!).  Not sure how to do a 'link'..... Will read 'rules' next time.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS