Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching help needed!  (Read 1760 times)

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
Hatching help needed!
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:15:52 am »
Hello,

I have my first turkey attempting to hatch her single egg (she went broody just when we got our Tom so only had one viable one!). I checked on her yesterday and the egg had started to pip so there was a little pyramid of shell sticking up and when I had a peek inside with my torch I could see the poult's beak in the air sac. This was about 3pm.

I have just sneaked a peek under her this morning and now there is more of an actual hole and I can see the little fellas beak poking out.

I just want to check that all is moving at the right sort of progress. I want to leave her to it but I don't want to abandon the little guy as its come this far if something goes wrong.

Any ideas?  :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Hatching help needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:20:57 am »
I never go near our turkey hens at hatching time.  I think it's one of those times when ignorance of what's going on (on my part) is bliss.  Only ever had one late death in shell when I've hoiked out unhatched eggs the day after she's emerged with the poults and that may well have died due to some problem that caused it to be too weak to hatch ayway. I like using broodies and not the incubator - it saves all that agonising over temperature and humidity!

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:25:55 am »
Thanks Marches Farmer, that's reassuring.

I will attempt to control myself and leave the poor girl alone  ::)

One more question, when baby does emerge shall I just leave it and mum shut in the house for a day or so? Its not the ideal place for her nest as its a raised house and obviously the poult wont be able to get back in if it comes out. When is a safe time for me to move them to a new safe house?

Apologies for my ignorance, trying to get my questions out of the way now as I have a week to go before the other starts hatching and she has 12!  :thumbsup:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:04:01 am »
I had the same agonising questions when my first (hen) chick hatched last year - a single one too!  :wave:
Turns out the broody knows very well when the chick is ready to move and how far, and they do get very mobile surprisingly quickly. (I'm just guessing here that it would be similar with poults.)
She'll probably keep the baby inside for a few days anyway - and when she takes it outside it will most probably be able to hop back in again. Maybe you could make an some extra step or something to make it easier to get back in? (for your own peace of mind, really)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:52:23 am »
If she has chick crumbs (non coccidiostat) and water in low dishes they'll be fine for a few days.  I suggest moving Mama first and following up very quickly with the poult.  A poult will cope just fine with a ramp or steps about 5cm high, though.

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:45:06 am »
Ok great, thanks all.

Just got back up from the horses and I can heard some peeping in there, couldn't restrain myself from having a look, beautiful little poult under mama's wing. Very cute!

I will sort them some food and water and let them settle for a while  :excited:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:56:52 am »
Good to hear all is well  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS