Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please - Fleecewife/Sally ITN?  (Read 6451 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Help please - Fleecewife/Sally ITN?
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:43:38 pm »
I have someone coming to clip my Kerry Hills and Angus and William's shetlands tomorrow (I asked OH to do them now, earlier than everything else, and he made a rude gesture!), and I am hoping I might be able to sell or at least find homes that will be appreciative of, the shetland fleece.

What I'd like advice, please, on is what I actually do with them tomorrow - how do I store them, what in?  Thanks in advance!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: Help please - Fleecewife/Sally ITN?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:57:57 pm »
only a beginner as far as selling fleece, but from the few experiences I have had so far......

Make sure all dirty bits from around the back end are pulled off.

Make sure the fleece is rolled correctly.  (my goodness they moan if its not)

I bag mine individually in large pillowcases,  seem to have an endless supply of them out of relatives houses! 

I tag each bag with breed of sheep, age, date of shearing and the ewes name so I know who its from!

Keep in a cool, dry place. 

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:13:03 pm »
Thank you!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:35:16 pm »
Can I add a wee bit to that?

# First off lay your fleece out somewhere very clean (new tarp) in the sun, cut side up, for half an hour to dry.  Sheep are quite sweaty and damp fleece stores badly.
# Crawl round the whole fleece and pick off all the daggy and draggly bits.  As well as the backside, the neck wool is often completely full of old hay trash, so if it is, just pull the whole bit off, wool and all - it's never going to be workable if it's bad.
# You might as well check the staple quality while you're there.  Take out a small staple of wool  (a bit which is held together by the tips).  Hold each end tightly in your hands, hold it near your ear, then snap your hands apart.  This should make a nice twang.  If the sound is soggy, and the staple tries to pull apart, you have a weak staple which won't sell.  It could just be that the shearer has shorn below the 'rise' so check it carefully.
# Lay your fleece cut side down, make it as neatly oblong as possible, fold in a third along each side, then roll up from the tail end towards the neck.  For fleece for selling, don't do this tightly (as you would for the BWMB) as when a hand spinner looks at the fleece they will want to open it up, and for it to be light and lofty. I don't twist and wrap the neck wool round the bundle, as the neck wool can be really fine, and twisting it makes it more difficult to prepare for spinning.
# I store mine in new woven polypropylene sacks - you sometimes get these with feed in - turn them inside out before using.  Pillow cases are great too for smallish fleeces, anything with absolutely no access for clothes moths. Stuff your fleece in neatly and tie very tightly at the neck. Never use polythene bags.
#Hang up in a dry, cool place with a through draught, no sun as this degrades the polypropylene.  Never store bags of fleece on a floor, or anywhere damp.

When people are viewing your fleece, whether at your home or elsewhere, they will probably want to unroll it for a proper look.  I'm in two minds about this: I would always want to examine any fleece carefully, but a fleece which is unrolled more than, say, three times is going to start falling apart, so think how to deal with that.  Other buyers are happy just to squeeze the sack and take a small staple from the top of the bag to look for quality.

There are a lot of Shetland fleeces out there for sale, so you may have difficulty finding buyers, but don't give up.
Have a close look at your Kerry Hills too, especially any first shears.  That's far more unusual, bigger too, so if you have some good ones it would be worth hawking a couple of those around with the Shetlands.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:41:01 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:01:21 am »

# I store mine in new woven polypropylene sacks - you sometimes get these with feed in - turn them inside out before using.  Pillow cases are great too for smallish fleeces, anything with absolutely no access for clothes moths. Stuff your fleece in neatly and tie very tightly at the neck. Never use polythene bags.
#Hang up in a dry, cool place with a through draught, no sun as this degrades the polypropylene.  Never store bags of fleece on a floor, or anywhere damp.

I bought my polypropylene sacks on eBay when Fleecewife advised this info previously. Everything looks quite professional, all labeled up, in matching sacks  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 02:59:24 pm »

# First off lay your fleece out somewhere very clean (new tarp) in the sun, cut side up, for half an hour to dry.  Sheep are quite sweaty and damp fleece stores badly.
# Crawl round the whole fleece and pick off all the daggy and draggly bits.  As well as the backside, the neck wool is often completely full of old hay trash, so if it is, just pull the whole bit off, wool and all - it's never going to be workable if it's bad.
# You might as well check the staple quality while you're there.  Take out a small staple of wool  (a bit which is held together by the tips).  Hold each end tightly in your hands, hold it near your ear, then snap your hands apart.  This should make a nice twang.  If the sound is soggy, and the staple tries to pull apart, you have a weak staple which won't sell.  It could just be that the shearer has shorn below the 'rise' so check it carefully.
# Lay your fleece cut side down, make it as neatly oblong as possible, fold in a third along each side, then roll up from the tail end towards the neck.  For fleece for selling, don't do this tightly (as you would for the BWMB) as when a hand spinner looks at the fleece they will want to open it up, and for it to be light and lofty. I don't twist and wrap the neck wool round the bundle, as the neck wool can be really fine, and twisting it makes it more difficult to prepare for spinning.

When people are viewing your fleece, whether at your home or elsewhere, they will probably want to unroll it for a proper look.  I'm in two minds about this: I would always want to examine any fleece carefully, but a fleece which is unrolled more than, say, three times is going to start falling apart, so think how to deal with that.  Other buyers are happy just to squeeze the sack and take a small staple from the top of the bag to look for quality.

There are a lot of Shetland fleeces out there for sale, so you may have difficulty finding buyers, but don't give up.
Have a close look at your Kerry Hills too, especially any first shears.  That's far more unusual, bigger too, so if you have some good ones it would be worth hawking a couple of those around with the Shetlands.

Thanks Fleecewife, brilliant post, just the info I needed now that my shearer has been today  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 04:19:06 pm »
Only just seen this, so apols for not replying sooner.

Not that FW didn't already tell you everything you need to know!  :D

Give me a shout if you want some pointers or help marketing them.  (Best Ravelry groups, and so on.  Plus I have contacts in some of your local spinning groups/guilds, if you don't.)

Ravellers love to see pics of fleeces, so if you haven't got all of them wrapped and bagged already, take a few 'lock shots' ;)

As FW says, there will be quite a lot of Shetland fleeces about, and they're not all very special ;) - but if yours are anything like as nice as Chad's would be (if he hadn't rubbed it off himself in stages  ::)), they'll be highly desirable.  :excited:  :spin:

And the Kerry Hills will have scarcity value. ;)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:36:26 pm »
Do you want some Charmoise ones (!)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 04:39:32 pm »
Do you want some Charmoise ones (!)

Ummm... yeah, I'd love to see one!  Can you send some up to Woolfest? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:41:50 pm »
Errr, yes, dunno. By courier? What is woolfest!? Prefer rams, ewes... what do I need to look for? All I know about wool is I need to cut it off and roll it up (preferably, but not always, the right way round)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:23:51 pm »
Sending you a PM, Me.

Generally shearling untupped ewe or wether will be the best - although some girls' fleeces do improve with age.

Tups can be okay but sometimes smell rather tuppy.

If the fleece holds together like a mat, it's no good for spinning (but someone may like it for peglooming or needlefelting.)

There's a great guide to what to look for in a fleece for handspinning here

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 08:12:48 am »
What size poly sack ?  Llanwenogs are VERY wooly!

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 08:22:37 am »
I just got potato sack size. My Ryelands are even more wooly but, with a squeeze, got one in each bag ok
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 02:01:27 pm »
Thank you, everyone!  Baby Isobel decided to have an all day feeding marathon, so they just ended up in the wool sheet, but have printed to advice out for future.  Love this forum.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 04:38:34 pm »
so they just ended up in the wool sheet

:'( :'( :'(

Glad to hear that baby is doing well, though  :D :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS