Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie brooding question  (Read 1668 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Newbie brooding question
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:21:26 pm »
Hello all :wave:

I was hoping my light Sussex would go broody by now - I want to try a hatching if possible. Trouble is, she isn't broody. She had a good spell last year ( when we had no cockerel) and I couldn't get her to STOP going broody, but nothing so far. Anything I can do to encourage her?

Is housing an issue? She shares a best box currently with three other hens, bit we have a new house we can press into action if she does go broody.

Many thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Newbie brooding question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:34:12 am »
Maybe keep some dummy eggs in the nest box? Hopefully this warmer weather will encourage her :fc:

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 07:43:14 pm »
Woohoo it worked! I left a couple of marked eggs in there and she's sat tight all day today!

Now to get the old ones out and put a few new ones in tomorrow. I don't think she's laying herself. If I put a couple of eggs under her each day for a few days, will the first ones hatching cause her to get up and leave the unmatched ones if they're a few days behind?
Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 07:55:33 pm »
Also, shall I shut her in? I've set something else up for the others so she has a rabbit hutch size coop with two 'rooms', one with a perch. I've put some water in with her this evening and will put some food in first thing tomorrow.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:39:18 pm »
Shove all the eggs under her, then they'll all hatch at once. Honestly, she won't mind! :chook:  and no need to shut her in, just make sure she has grain and water in reach :fc:

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 10:51:38 pm »
Thanks, just got to hope that the cockerel has been up to the job... :-J

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS