Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Microchip numbers  (Read 2547 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Microchip numbers
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:40 pm »
Hi folks,
I wonder if I could ask a big favour, as many of you will already know microchipping of dogs becomes compulsory next April, it will also become compulsory to keep the address details of the keeper of the dog up to date, at first glance this seems to be a fairly simple request, BUT there are at present, I think, six UK databases that can register the dog and keepers details. If you have a microchipped dog, but have not got any paperwork that should accompany the dog when it changes keepers, you then need to know which database it was originally registered with.
I am trained to microchip dogs, and mainly do working collies some of which change hands a number of times before they find the right owner, some of my clients have already asked me how to change the address details, unfortunately I can only help them if their dog is microchipped with a pet detect microchip.
This is where the favour comes in, microchips have a 15 digit number, the first 3 numbers indicate the manufacturers code, I was hoping some of you would have a look at your dogs paperwork for the microchip and tell me what the first 3 numbers are and which database it is registered with, so I can at least point someone to the right database to change their details.
I have found some of the details online but there are some missing, and some databases use multiple  manufacturers, these are the databases and some of the chip numbers that they use.
Pet identity
Smarttrac
Petlog - 956
petprotect - 960
Animark - 981
Petrac - 977
I would be really grateful if you could help to fill in some of the gaps.
Thank you
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Microchip numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:50:08 pm »
My dogs is 981 and petlog

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 03:57:33 pm »
Likewise, our vets use tracer chips registered with pet log starting 981.
If someone calls pet log with the microchip number, they can see on their database which company it is registered with and pass on the contact details for that company so the owner can update their details.
Most vets, and even our local police have a scanner, and they usually can detect chips from multiple origins.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:06:39 pm »
Mine are all petlog 981
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

AJ

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 10:30:29 pm »
 mine are Smart trac and start with 900

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:39:31 pm »
So is Animark the same as Tracer - and Petlog? ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 09:15:04 am »
Hi,
Firstly thank you everyone who has replied,  fsmnutter, I spoke to pet log on Friday afternoon and they confirmed what you said, but they wouldn't give me a list with the numbers and databases.???
So is Animark the same as Tracer - and Petlog? ???
It would appear it is, I copied this from the Animark website

"If you find a pet and have him scanned the veterinary surgeon, or whoever scans the animal may know the database from the manufactures code e.g. 981 is the Animark (microchip.ie). You can use our Owner Locator to find the owner."

I find it very confusing as I was lead to believe that each manufacturer was assigned to only one database.
As a microchip implanter it isn't really my problem, I just thought it would be useful to be able to point people to the correct database.

Thanks again for the replies.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS