Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet Lamb  (Read 7524 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Pet Lamb
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:34 pm »
I have a week old lamb whos mother didnt have enough milk( only got 100ml colostrum at birth)
Never had pets before this young, will l need to jag her with Hep p before l put her out with the big kids ?
Was hoping to put up hurdles and have her in the sunshine sometime and get the big kids used to her.
Got no other lambs so she is on her own  :( my collie plays with her indoors so she would mind her in the paddock. Could l put hay down in the pen so she doesnt eat soil or grass till she is jagged ?
All new to me......Help  ???

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Pet Lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:51:15 pm »
I have a week old lamb whos mother didnt have enough milk( only got 100ml colostrum at birth)
Never had pets before this young, will l need to jag her with Hep p before l put her out with the big kids ?
Was hoping to put up hurdles and have her in the sunshine sometime and get the big kids used to her.
Got no other lambs so she is on her own  :( my collie plays with her indoors so she would mind her in the paddock. Could l put hay down in the pen so she doesnt eat soil or grass till she is jagged ?
All new to me......Help  ???
Good idea about the hay, also some lambs pellets too, as they grow very well on cake. I think that it all sounds good the hurdles would be a good idea, you would have to make sure she couldn't get through the bars though as lambs are very mischevious.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:54:10 pm »
Opened up cardboard boxes tied onto the bottom of the hurdles will do.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »
What do you mean by 'big kids'???

Is that some kind of weird personified speak for older lambs or ewes???

Edited to add - I wouldn't worry over much r.e her picking at grass and soil, but if you do decide to go that route, and cover the floor, use straw not hay. They like to munch on the hay sometimes, and at that age, its of little feed value, but fills up their stomachs. . . . .
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:59:22 pm by Porterlauren »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:42 pm »
my collie plays with her indoors so she would mind her in the paddock.

What does "play" mean?  If your collie is following the basic herding instinct to push the lamb towards you, as the alpha dog in the pack so you can kill it, then the lamb is going to get run ragged.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:09:04 pm »
The collie comes in the utility room with me at feed times, she follows the lamb (Sophie) about(plays) l dont leave her alone with her.
The term' big kids' is a phrase my neice uses for the ewes, nothing weird about it, just used to using it   ;D
I was more interested in whether l have to jag her ? Should l give her Hep p jag now and another in few weeks with only getting so little colostrum ?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:23 pm »
How old is the lamb? What I used to do, when I was rearing large numbers of lambs in 2012, was feeding them yoghurt in warm water with some honey and that adds to the good bacteria in the gut.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:45:11 pm »
8 days old, probiotic yogurt  :thinking: interesting. I feed that my chucks as a treat. Many thanks

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 12:15:03 am »
+1 for mixing good natural yoghurt with the milk a bit.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 12:25:00 pm »
Tried the yogurt it gave her the skitters, one soup spoon full in her milk ????
Have put her out in the stock box in the ewes field (including mum) Stupid question but would the ewe know it was her lamb ?
Halved the stock box so they can go in, is there any chance the ewes would try to hurt her?
Going to see vet tomorrow find out what to give her before she goes out to graze :sheep:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 02:21:51 pm »
Maybe ewe's milk yoghurt would be better. Cows milk for calves?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 06:31:44 pm »
If they didn't have time to bond properly and the ewe hasn't been calling for her then it's unlikely she'll know it's hers.  Any ewe will butt the lamb away if it tries to suckle.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 10:15:02 am »
sometimes they have the skitters after giving them the yoghurt as this cleans her gut out of bad bacteria. Also if using powdered milk, I use shine ( the blue bag as its easier to mix) or you could use denkavit. Do not use ordinary lam-lac as it has very little milk in it. Also when it says 250g to 1 ltr of water I put 1400ml of water in, this is to water it down a little for them and also to keep them hydrated. I do put water down for em too.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 10:49:16 am »
Many thanks all  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 12:47:28 pm »
If born to unvaccinated dams my vet recommends hepta-vaccing them at 3 weeks, I think that's the youngest it says on the bottle.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS