Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help. Lamb kicked by horse. What to do  (Read 4298 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Help. Lamb kicked by horse. What to do
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:58:13 pm »
Please can I have your advice. I have a 6 week old castrated ram who I think has been kicked in the head by my pony. One of his horns is pointing the wrong way and he has a cut. It seems to have stopped bleeding and I will purple spray it but will it do him permanent harm. He still seems very strong and not concussed but it looks horrible. Shall I give him penicillin?

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Help. Lamb kicked by horse. What to do
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:19:17 pm »
Just an update. We have iodined it and the hard horn has nearly come off the bud. It is very red raw but clean. Hoping the horn will come away and if we keep it clean he'll be ok.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:34:45 pm »
Rest assured, it is more than likely that he will be fine.  These injuries do look very gruesome though!  Cleaning it well is an excellent start.  A shot of antibiotic is probably a good idea - no doubt others with more experience will share their ideas.  But don't panic!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »
Keep a close eye on hi9m for at least 24 hours - concussion doesn't show up straight away.  Do your sheep share a field with the horses?  I would never risk it.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:21:20 pm »
Me neither. Weve got 2 Highlands but when our Ryelands arrive in a few weeks we wont be putting them together. Horses can be so unpredictable. I have enough vet bills.
On the other hand, I know several people who have one horse and they have a sheep to keep the horse company. I even know one person whose horse and ewe share a stable thu the whole winter: they love each other. So it can be done.
Is it time to retire yet?

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:23:09 pm »
We have highlands and sheep together with no problems. Benefits both. Our ex-stallion however used to throw them around like toys and tear them to bits in the process hence he is an ex.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:05:28 pm »
They run with ponies from yearling onwards, I wouldn't trust even my kindest pony with nursing lambs.  Hope he better soon x

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:45 am »
My four ewes and six lambs went in with our pony when they were about 6 weeks old. He's good with them but he is restricted in their field so they have most of the field to themselves and can get in and out of his bit at will.

Hope the little mite is ok x
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:39:22 am »
Keep him away from flies ... the raw horn bud will be very attractive to them!!  Keep it clean and you shouldn't need any antibiotic.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 10:27:24 am »
Poor lamb - at least a blow to the head is likely to cause no noticeable damage to brain function in a sheep  :innocent:

We put our ponies out with the sheep for a couple of hours in the morning (ponies on restricted grazing) and the ponies are too boody hungry to pay any attention to the sheep  ;)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:07:59 am »
Thanks so much. They are keeping the pony company as he is on his own. We are in a rented field at the moment which isn't partitioned but moving the sheep out next week to our own grazing so hopefully no more incidents. The pony will then be sharing with another horse.
The horn bud looks a bit drier today and he still looks well but I'll catch him up later to reapply the iodine.ill put some fly repellent on his fleece to try to keep flies away.
Will keep you posted and thanks for the reassurance

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 02:35:55 pm »
Hope your lamb's ok.  Just yesterday I was rooing one of my Shetland ewes and she was been a swine and cracked her head on my elbow and went a bit wobbly for 5 minutes.  Gave us a panic!

Re sheep and horses in together.  I put my stallion in with the ewes and lambs (no other option as other field growing for hay) and he's fine with them.  But if I put the mares out then the sheep chase them...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS