Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first shot at this - any experiences to share?  (Read 1976 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
first shot at this - any experiences to share?
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:31:23 pm »
I now have a broody duck sitting on hen's eggs (she was so going on my nerves as she would try again and again and we really do not need any more ducks,lol)
- has anyone had success with this before and wants to share how it went?

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Re: first shot at this - any experiences to share?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:34:56 pm »
I had a duck sit on guinea fowl eggs and it all went fine... little identity crisis for a few weeks whilst they worked out that they weren't ducks - but couple of years on and they're all still around!  :fc:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:40:48 pm »
She'll kill them!  She'll take them to water and expect them to float and they'll drown. So you need to get them away from her before she gets to that stage.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:42:25 pm »
Done it the other way around but I've never had a broody duck - my worry would be what Doganjo says! So very shallow water or take them away from her :-( Would be very interested to see whether she can waterproof their down in the same way she would a duckling before it got its feathers in.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:47:28 pm »
I only ever have had drinking water with new mums for the start, even ducklimgs. Ducks seemed to get fed up with their youngsters fairly early on so i'm planning on separating  after a couple of weeks. Provided they hatch...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:29:57 pm »
we bought goslings that came with their "mum" - a broody bantam - who was also very feisty. ha

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS