Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sleeper Train  (Read 3880 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Sleeper Train
« on: May 14, 2015, 07:59:27 pm »
I have a meeting in Dundee next week and the easiest way seems to be the sleeper train.... I've never been on a sleeper train before and first class was cheaper than standard class...

I am unreasonably excited about sleeping on a train! ;D ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Sleeper Train
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 08:32:59 pm »
Oooo the idea conjures up all sorts of James Bond type images
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:41:13 pm »
I've used the 'Riviere Sleeper' service from Paddington to Penzance several times - really like the fact that you have your own space, can lie down completely and don't 'waste' a day travelling. Ok I don't sleep properly as such but its nice to snooze on and off.
Enjoy  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:33 pm »
I love travelling by sleeper - pity the new one isn't working yet.

Whatcha doing in Dundee - City of Discovery?

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 09:02:43 pm »
Hubby tried it once & hated it, he didn't sleep a wink, bumped about at each stop and felt rough as a badgers tooshy the next day (he just books a cheap flight now)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 09:10:09 pm »
No Rosemary,  I have a meeting about their energy from waste plant  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 10:02:09 pm »
I did that trip in the opposite direction by sleeper a good while ago.  However, I've little idea of what it was like because I slept through it all  :roflanim:

The best thing was arriving in London in the very early morning, so early that I was able to cycle down Oxford street and across London, including under a multilane underpass, to whichever station it was I needed for Reading.  There were about 2 taxis around and that was it.  Now that's a London I can cope with  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:57:31 pm »
I do enjoy train journeys; my only experiences of sleepers are of the Rajdhani Express trains in India - 2nd class air conditioned - which I can recommend. Mind you I can sleep anywhere when I'm tired.

The only problem is if your still too excited when it comes to actually sleeping.  :)

only UK trains could offer 1st class for less than 2nd  ::)  ; I do wonder what 1st class sleepers are like in the UK though...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 11:58:31 pm »
I once travelled by sleeper train from London to Glasgow when my daughter was small and I was pregnant with her brother. I shared the bottom bunk with her while her father slept on the top one. Needless to say,I hardly had any sleep.

After that we travelled on the overnight train and always went for a corridor carriage. We'd find an empty compartment, spread out and start changing the children's nappies. Other people would look in and quickly move on to another compartment. We always had the compartment to ourselves and slept top to toe with one child each.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 07:33:20 am »
have fun!

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:42:56 pm »
Sleeper train ~ on my to do list!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 09:34:46 am »
I loved it - but according to a naval acquaintance, the bunks go the wrong way - they should go fore and aft not port to starboard :-) Hope the new sleeper does that.

When we went, you got a wee pack with eye mask, tiny wee toothbrush and toothpaste, a face flannel and a tiny Pengiun Classic abridged novel. The steward brought breakfast to the cabin - it wasn't the best ever, but hey, it had a novelty factor.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 10:15:55 am »
I did the london to glasgow sleeper in the 60's and it wasn't that much fun. On the other hand for my Mother's 90th I booked her and my sister on the Orient Express in a private suite. They thought that was spectacular (and so was the bill)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 10:32:07 am »
I did the london to glasgow sleeper in the 60's and it wasn't that much fun. On the other hand for my Mother's 90th I booked her and my sister on the Orient Express in a private suite. They thought that was spectacular (and so was the bill)

Aye, I'm easy pleased  :)

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 01:55:21 pm »
only UK trains could offer 1st class for less than 2nd  ::)  ; I do wonder what 1st class sleepers are like in the UK though...

In First Class you get a cabin to yourself instead of sharing, and also get the wee toiletries pack mentioned by Rosemary.

My daughter and I got upgraded to First a couple of years ago when Fort William was cut off by an avalanche and we were taken by bus to Kingussie to join the train from Inverness. I would rather have had the extra hour and a half in bed, all the same.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS