Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Colostrum.  (Read 1656 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Colostrum.
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:17:13 am »
When does colostrum stop being colostrum and become milk?

My goat has kidded and is making far more then the 2 boys are taking at the moment so I am taking some of the excess to stop her being so tight. Given the value of colostrum I am saving this and freezing for the future but when does it stop being colostrum? She is coming up to 48 hours post kidding. In my head I have 3 days but now can't find why I think that, where I read it or if it's something I just made up!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Colostrum.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:27:35 am »
About 3 - 4 days it will contain some colostrum.

Keep making sure she isn't tight.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:41:27 am »
The newborn gut only absorbs antibodies until 12 hours after birth, on a decreasing scale, with most of them being in the first 6 hours, hence the recommendation to get colostrum in quickly. Some antibodies are still useful in the gut against E. coli etc after this point, but as the majority of the antibodies  will no longer be absorbed, the mother produces diminishing amounts. If for your own use, you could certainly keep the milk for up to about 3 days as a highly nutritious milk for young kids or lambs, but I would only call it colostrum up to 12-24 hours. Hope the vet science bit helps!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:16:56 pm by fsmnutter »

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »
Thanks. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS