Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead cockerel  (Read 1728 times)

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
Dead cockerel
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:44:07 pm »
Hi there. I went up to my chickens late morning and found my little Pekin boy Donald dead in the run without a mark on him, although his comb had a blueish tinge (it was always bright red). I don't know his age as we got him as an adult. Could he have had a heart attack? Yesterday he appeared fine, eating, drinking and acting normally. It's such a shame as he was such a lovely boy, taking good care of his girls, yet he was quite happy to be picked up for a cuddle. Any thoughts would be appreciated, many thanks

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Dead cockerel
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:35:19 am »
Sounds like heart, I think. We lost one last May very suddenly - he was only young as well (less than a year old)  - seemed maybe a touch off colour in the morning, dead by midday. Sorry - hope the girls don't miss him too much :-(

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 04:01:53 pm »
They have another cockerel, a young Orpington who will have to take over now. I'm sure there were no problems with the boys as they have a huge area to range in and they all squeezed into one house at night despite having another huge house! A shame, though, always seem to lose the lovely ones!! :(

piglady

• Joined May 2015
  • Kirkbride, Wigton, Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:12:58 pm »
Over the years, we've lost several cockerels in this way.  It's a heart attack.  We actually saw one of our favourite boys keel over just as he was attending to his favourite hen.  They are so active, we've found that they don't live much longer than around 2 years. Very sad but at least it's a quick end doing what they like best!

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 04:10:56 pm »
So sad to have lost our lovely Donald, but on a happier note, I have hatched 2 of Donald's babies with my last hatch-beautiful silver/white chicks. I don't know why I chose the Pekin eggs to fill the empty spaces in my incy, as I had lots of fertile ones to choose from, but I chose the lavender Pekin ones, and I'm so glad I did!! I'm definitely keeping these 2 so I will have a part of Donald, who was so sweet and lovely, and I'm hoping one will turn out to be a boy..... Sleep well Donald xxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS