Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and Sheep living together?  (Read 6515 times)

Caz2015

• Joined Apr 2015
Goats and Sheep living together?
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:28:57 pm »
 :goat:

Was just wondering if anyone keeps Goats and Sheep together? Have heard there is an issue with keeping them together relating to worming?? Thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats and Sheep living together?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:53:34 pm »
Goats and sheep share the same kind if worms, and whereas adult sheep can usually tolerate a significant worm burden without any signs of illness/ill-thrift etc, goats (being browsers rather than grazers) have not built up that tolerance.

So unless your sheep are squeaky-clean and all your pasture is, you need to seriously work on worm control in your sheep (completely closed flock would be the only safe way)  in order to keep them together with goats. Also need to worm your goats on arrival etc, and again not buying in additional stock...

Easier to keep apart...

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:41:42 am »
 I had a pygmy goat in with our sheep while we sorted a friend for her. Only short term but had a couple of issues 1) goat tried to be bossy, most sheep not happy with that and could be rough (one Ronnie was terrified of goaty though!) 2) issues with feeding goaty separately, however they will be on the same food eventually and they only have a tiny bit to keep them tame as we are at school. BUT they can't share mineral licks either which would have been a problem for us in the long term.

Goaty still looks longingly at the sheep through the fence but I was pleased to be able to put another pygmy with her in a separate paddock last week!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:44:24 am »
I have goats and sheep in the same fields.
They mostly stay in their own groups except one welsh mountain hogg who realized the goats get brought in at night and get extra food so tries to hide amongst them and sometimes succeeds.
Have to keep on top of worming but not really a problem.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 06:27:00 pm »
I have kept both and they have grazed the same fields but rarely at the same time for several reasons, mainly the sheep come running in when I called the goats because they recognised my voice !!! The worms can be a problem but you just have to keep an eye on the situation. Regular FEC fro the goats as they are the most at risk. ????

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 08:40:02 am »
My pygmys graze with sheep and horses, I do regular Fec and not had any problems.
Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:22:21 am »
Our goats were in with our sheep for quite a while a couple of years back (separate now only because we have put up a shed in a new area for them).  We took on 3 orphan Shetland sheep lambs last year and they have now joined the goats in their quarry and the goats get on very well with them (probably because they were wee lambs when they came so have grown up here).

They all got along very well.  You need to feed goats though and the sheep will get the regular picnic unless you separate and breakfast and teatimes.  Goats need fed, sheep don't.

Goats won't wander too far, they like their house and they won't want the sheep in it.

Maybe you could fence off an area inside the sheep field (not with electric fencing if goats have horns) - goats would be happy with that, they like their own bit.  They need more herbage variety than sheep - not just grass.  If the sheep jump in they can jump out again when the goats get shirty with them.  Your sheep are likely to become more handle-able as you will be in with the goats there regularly.

We've never had any problems.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 07:35:35 am »
How often do you have to worm the sheep to be able to keep them with goats?

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 10:17:00 am »
Hi there, just spotted this thread so I'm a bit late to the party.
The main problem with goats and worms is, as Anke said, that adult goats do not develop immunity to worms while adult sheep do.
However, another problem is that you CANNOT use the same dose of wormer for goats as you do for sheep. This is not printed on the label because the wormers are licensed for sheep and not goats, so the manufacturers do not print "goat doses" on the label as they are not technically licensed for goats (although you can use them for goats, and indeed there is nothing else you can use, so you have to use them for goats!)
So it is not about how often you need to worm goats to keep them with sheep - it is about making sure that you are not underworming your goats when you do. Different types of wormer need different doses for goats, so I would really advise you to speak to your vet about the correct dose for a goat, or, if your vet is not aware of the differences needed, you can direct them to the Goat Veterinary Society, who will give your vet all the information they need.
So, in summary, don't use the same dose for goats as you do for sheep - this is proven not to work, and will help the worms on your farm to become resistant to the wormer medication in both goats and sheep, leaving you with no effective medication to use to help your lambs etc. Goats will need more wormer, but the amount needed varies with the type of wormer. And doing worm egg counts on poo, as suggested by another contributor above, is a very sensible idea and probably one of the healthiest ways to help control the situation as you will then know if you need to treat at all!
Hope this helps. We do free goat talks on worming etc if you are in Scotland (I'm a vet with the rural college).
Caroline

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 11:35:32 am »
Thanks for the help, that really helps explain it.  I use noromectin, but I will speak to my vet and get advice from them on the dosage.
Thanks

Barcud

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »
Goats and sheep share the same kind if worms, and whereas adult sheep can usually tolerate a significant worm burden without any signs of illness/ill-thrift etc, goats (being browsers rather than grazers) have not built up that tolerance.

Anke- given that Boer goats are better grazers, would they develop a degree of tolerance?
Regards
Mike

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 04:02:19 pm »

Anke- given that Boer goats are better grazers, would they develop a degree of tolerance?
Regards
Mike

Honestly - I have no idea. Possibly with long-term evolution they may, but also remember they were developed in South Africa and have been fairly recent imports to Northern Europe. However given that people often keep larger herds than dairy goats there may be some more anecdotal evidence soon.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »
We do free goat talks on worming etc if you are in Scotland (I'm a vet with the rural college).
Caroline

where do you do these? Would be interested in finding out more
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS