Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Walking on a lead  (Read 5124 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Walking on a lead
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:59:06 am »
Misty rarely has a lead on and, therefore, she pulls.  She walks well to heel and rarely goes anywhere that requires a lead.  However, in July she is going to the CLA gamefair so I need to start working with her (and 8 week old tilly) to get them to walk as a pair together well.

Any idea how to go about this.  I don't want to spend 2 days being dragged around the game fair!

Erm, Misty is a typical working cocker, fully of life, last year Princess Nym (who was with me) won one of those photograph competitions run by the land agents there.  We were called back to get a prize which involved a cream tea.... Misty, saw something move and... orf she went under the table causing the cream tea and table to go everywhere.... I'd prefer NOT to have that this year and have two perfectly behaved pooches with me..  My hours are such that classes aren't really an option.

Any help would be gratefully received :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Walking on a lead
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:02:42 am »
Long lead, in a loop, as she begins to pull drop the loop and turn on your heel plus whistle/click what have you within 20 mins they don't pull/choke themselves for the rest of their lives

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:30:26 am »
Will try tonight.... what about with tilly?  She is only 8 weeks old....

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »
Ever heard the motorbike term "corners like a puppy on a lead?" What ever you do make it play based and encouraging and accept she is 8 weeks old

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 02:42:32 pm »
I use a short lead, under the chin, so I can hold their head up, if they pull, they get tugged back and chocked (not literally!!!!!), and when I am walking I constantly do sudden direction changes. I also sometimes cut a very thin piece of hazel and as they start to pull, put it in front of their nose, as an obstruction. Should stop pulling in a day or two, and a couple of weeks later walk to heal off the lead.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:08:26 pm »
Surely if she walks well to heal off lead that is half your battle. Like any training, regular short sessions with lots of rewarding little treats. Once you have the lead walking down, introduce distractions you have to walk past as advance lead training which will help with your outing.
________
Caroline

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:59:55 pm »
A very tasty, favourite treat in your right hand, lead in your left, get their attention, give the command at the same time as a sniff of the treat and, if they stay focused a"good whatever the command" and a nibble of the treat every 10 or so paces. Good luck :fc:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:25:40 pm »
I think it depends on the temperament of your bitch.  I would start with the lovely positive approach given by Devonlady.  Walk fast, walk slowly, sudden changes of direction. Turning 'into' your dog in a tight circle always seems to work well. You should be able to 'inch' your way along with dog inching too. Dogs eyes should be on you .... you have all their attention. Give 'sit' command and insist on immediate response. I use a loose lead, never held tight .... you don't need a tight lead because your dog is watching and waiting upon your every movement and command.

And to the 'real' world  ;D ........ above works and works well with a lot of dogs. My little working lab for example. However with my Flatcoat dog ... well he never quite got it. He could do lessons to perfection until out in the real world. Too many distractions, too much fun to be had. Have to admit that I've used Porterlaurens techniques too. They work as well and I've used them on headstrong dogs like my Flat.

Personally I would expect nothing from your pup. She is a baby and will be for a long time yet. I'd let her be a baby and enjoy that really special stage with few real lessons. The social side is all that matters really. I know from your earlier posts that she has been wearing a collar and had a lead attached to 'drag' along. IMO she needs nothing else and maybe a bit of a handful at the show but then babies are.  ;D

Enjoy.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:39:45 pm »
If she already walks well to heel OFF the lead, then put a slip lead on her and drop it on the ground.  Walk around with her like that for a bit then gently lift it but keep the lead absolutely loose so she can't feel any pull on it.  If she tolerates that, then you can put a little pressure on it and immediately loosen it again. Then gradually put a little more and more pressure on till she is walking on a loose lead by your side.  If she pulls go right back to the beginning.

Start the pup off with a training lead too with her Mum beside her - in an enclosed space of course.  Use the same technique to eventually have her doing the same.

Then buy a twin lead attachment for your main lead and teach them to walk together on it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:21:38 pm »
I trust your pup will be used to loud noises and shots beforehand?  Game fairs are very scary places for pups, but I'm sure you have that covered.

Good luck with the lead walking - you could always try a head collar like a gentle leader, figure of eight, etc
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 10:40:24 pm »
I have those and they are fine as a temporary measure or in an emergency, but they don't teach the dog long term manners.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 11:21:05 am »
I have those and they are fine as a temporary measure or in an emergency, but they don't teach the dog long term manners.

:thumbsup:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 01:26:35 pm »
If it's any consolation when my springer was a pup she jumped through an open window. ............. On to the animal inspector. She hasn't been back since :-J

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 08:23:31 am »
i'm on mobile (computer sick) so will be brief! Never reward her for pulling - so only walk when the lead is slack. If she pulls, stop. Stand still until she moves back towards you; as soon as there is slack in the lead, start to walk forwards again. Short frequent sessions, end on a high. For the first couple of days, you will not cover much ground! But if you are consistent, the penny will drop and she'll keep the lead loose with no commands needed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 08:31:54 am »
the same technique will work with a pup, but it helps greatly to do some 'pressure and release' work first. So have the lead on, apply gentle steady pressure. As soon as she relaxes into the pressure, release the pressure. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Gradually look for more movement towards you before you release.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS