Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sneezy sheep  (Read 4096 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Sneezy sheep
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:35:34 am »
One of my Zwartbles has had a weird sort of a sneeze going on. 2 days ago I noticed her doing it occasionally. It's sort of like she has something inside her nose, or something that has irritated her nose, that she is trying to sneeze out so that's exactly what I thought was happening. It may be that's what's going on. It doesn't seem to distress her and she is eating, drinking and playing with the other 3  quite happily. No sign of discharge at all. The other 3 are fine. She is up to date with her vaccs with Hep P and no sign of maggots anywhere near her head. I haven't Clik'd them yet (but intend to do them this week), so I know she hasn't got any of the spray up her nose.
I am new to sheep (only 7months) so this is a first for me. I know this probably sounds completely ridiculous but do some sheep get sensitive to pollens in the Spring? If I was worried, I wouldn't hesitate to call the Vet but its just a bit odd and only occasional. However, I don't want to overlook it if it might be important so I would value any advice please.
Many thanks.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Sneezy sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:12:51 am »
Check for nasal bots.  I've never seen them and never had them in our flock.  They apparently cause sneezing when the eggs are being ejected, months after the original fly has got to them.  Obviously this will spread more eggs onto the pasture, to develop into flies to infect other sheep.  As far as I know there are no dedicated treatments.
Hopefully someone who has experience of nasal bots will come along.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:21:05 pm »
Nasal bot flies - The flies are a brown / honey coloured furry looking thing that hatches out in the warm weather and will lay their eggs in the nasal passages of the sheep. The larvae can overwinter in the sheeps nose avoiding a hard frost which kills off any in the ground. These will become active in spring. Having had a problem with these in my flock  I  use injectable  ivermectin  late autumn  or early spring to break the lifecycle. Haven't had any difficulties with them for a good few years .  Its likely the sneezing will settle down.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:06:15 pm »
Many thanks Fleecwife and Kanisha. I have just had a look up about this on the Internet and it sounds exactly like that. The sheep isn't sneezing this evening, so presumeably the larvae must have come out now. Will keep an eye out for this in future and use ivermectin if they become a problem.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:03:57 pm »
yes some sheep do seem to sneeze with pollens, also with hay, sunshine etc. Just like humans they're all individual in their sensitivity to irritants

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:01:38 pm »
Thank you farmvet, thats very useful to know.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 08:12:17 pm »
I've had one (a zwartbles) that did this, along with other symptoms, and she turned out to have photosensitivity - sensitivity to sunlight.  She sort of sneezed/shook her head but also the irritation caused her to rub her nose to the extent that this skin became quite swollen and broken.  This only affected her white bits - blaze and hind socks.  This was only a temporary mid-summer issue.  Vet explained she would have eaten something (i.e. St John's Wort I think)  that triggered the sensitivity. Never did find anything unusual that she may have eaten.

Quite rare and it's more likely to be what the other replies say that but thought I would mention it in case.  Hope you get to the bottom of it.   

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 09:28:26 pm »
We have St John's Wort growing in our wood and I go through the wood at this time of year pulling it up as it can cause quite a severe reaction.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 10:15:01 pm »
Thankyou both for the St. John's Wort information. We don't have any of that on the land as far as I know but its useful to know about. My sheep, 'Floss' hasn't sneezed since the evening of my first post, so maybe she just had something up her nose. I'm not really sure. I will be vigilant for SJW and Bot Flies now though. My other Zwartble has got quite a lot of pink on her nose and I have wondered if she will need sunblock on that in the summer if she is sensitive to the strong sunlight. I used to have to do this to my piebald horse or his nose got very sore. I can't see my sheep being too keen on the idea!

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 11:14:19 am »
Hi again Oops..   Glad your ewe is ok     Haven't had a problem with sunburn in any of my Zs over 7 years but suppose it's not impossible.    For info - when I did have one with broken skin I used Sudocrem which worked really well

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS