Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gander not keen?  (Read 3240 times)

simone

• Joined Oct 2012
Gander not keen?
« on: April 19, 2015, 03:37:17 pm »
So my lovely pilgrim goose seems pretty broody, she has made a nest (not inside the nice shelter we made her) and laid a few eggs which she sits on pretty much all the day bar a brief break in the mornings.

However there is erm no action from the gander at all, he doesn't even want to cuddle up :-) he's only just turned 1, is this likely to improve next year?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Gander not keen?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »
I rarely see ours getting up to much hanky panky, but the eggs always have near 100% fertility. The best sign is that the girls should be missing some feathers from the backs of their heads.

If they're still looking pristine there, then yes I would be worried.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

simone

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 05:45:35 pm »
Back of her head does look pristine, could it be because he's so young? I have no idea when a male goose reaches maturity - no wonder they're a rare breed! He seems fine, healthy - loves spending most of his time in the bath.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:42:11 am »
Rarely see any treading taking place.  Is the goose older than the gander?  They sometimes boss the youngster around and don't take him seriously!

simone

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 04:42:02 pm »
I've been watching them on cctv and there's no sign of cosying up whatsoever - she's always on the nest and he's always in the bath :-)

They are the same age - both last years and were sold to me a couple of weeks ago as a pair.

I can see why they're a rare breed.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 05:52:26 pm »
he's always in the bath :-)

That made me laugh.. are you sure he's male?! :D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:00:27 pm »
How long has she been sitting? worth candling the eggs yet? mine have just started laying again after I removed a nest (down the side of the polytunnel is not safe from Mr F.) So maybe she would start laying again if you removed the eggs?
Some of mine have scruffy backs where the gander has been on them, but their heads look OK.

simone

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »
Yup sure he's a boy - he just likes to be a very clean goose :-)

She's been sitting really since just after we got her a couple of weekends ago, but i wasn't to sure to begin with - i removed a couple of eggs and left her a couple thinking that it might be a few weeks before she was really broody intending to put some back then - she seems to be laying one every couple of days but broke one of the original ones she was sitting on.

So no-one thinks that it's just because he's not mature? 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:09 pm »
Perhaps she just doesn't fancy him, but he thinks that's because he smells?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:08 pm »
Whats the goose equivalent of Lynx body spray?  :innocent:

piglady

• Joined May 2015
  • Kirkbride, Wigton, Cumbria
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 02:23:38 pm »
We started with two young adult geese, but although the female laid eggs and sat for quite a while, none hatched out the first year, but we got four goslings the second year.  He's probably a bit too young yet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS