Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treatment for sour crop  (Read 1802 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Treatment for sour crop
« on: April 16, 2015, 02:56:02 pm »
One of my hens has sour crop. Off her food yesterday, last night I picked her up to check her over and clear liquid came out of her beak. This morning picked her up again and her crop was full of liquid and squishy. Have massaged it whilst holding her upside down, a lot of gunky liquid came out. Have given her some natural live yoghurt, is there anything else I can do? Have also bought some grit this morning to prevent it happening again. The other hens have had some yoghurt too. Is there anything else I should do for her?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Treatment for sour crop
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 03:45:14 pm »
Natural yoghurt usually does the trick when one of mine has had it. Are they in longish grass? Fresh new grass can sometimes be the culprit at this time of year. Don't let her eat anything for a day or two to let things settle down, just yoghurt twice a day.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 03:53:24 pm »
No not really. They moved to a new area about 3 weeks ago, there was long grass in there but they reduced it to short grass within about 10 days. They have been getting cauli leaves and florets though as 2 of our fields have just been cut and I've been taking them down leaves etc which they love. All the other hens are fine (about 25 in total) :unwell:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:37:14 pm »
She died  :bouquet: think she had an impaction in the end as I was massaging her crop again and she started bringing up lumps of leaf and grass, then died mid way through bringing up the blockage  :(

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:14:30 pm »
That's sad, sounds more like impaction rather than just sour crop.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:18:54 pm »
Poor chuckie  :bouquet: You did your best.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS