Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to visit various breeds  (Read 3113 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Where to visit various breeds
« on: April 14, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »
I have done all my research and am looking at getting Anglo Nubian goats as they seem to match what I am looking for and I just love their long ears. I have spoken to a number of people and read loads. I understand that you can't fully stereotype breeds and am pretty sure I know what I am getting into. I plan to get 2 female kids to start so I can spend the first year learning as they grow before dealing with milking etc.

However before I take goats on, I have been trying to find a local show/open farm etc in which I can see a few different breeds and get a better idea of size, scale, facilities so that I can be 100% I have made the right choice.

I am in Cambridgeshire, any suggestions of where I can visit goats
________
Caroline

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Where to visit various breeds
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:08:41 pm »
If you look on the British goat society website you will find a goat club in your area they may be able to provide advice and contacts of members willing to show you their goats and different people have different set ups. also there is a list of recognised goat shows on the website but again you local goat club can tell you of other shows in you area where their are goat classes. many goaty people are more than happy to show you how they manage their goats.
Well done you for doing you research first, good luck

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:32:53 am »
Book yourself a holiday and come to the Spring Festival ( smallholders show) at Builth Wells in Mid Wales.  There's every kind of goat there, they've even got bagots and boers this year.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 02:48:39 pm »
Cambridgeshire Goatkeepers Society exist! Not sure who as ANs though as I only tend to visit other people with BTs to borrow their billy. Wendy, our secretary, has her number on the BGS contacts page and should know if there's a local keeper with ANs near you. If you'd like a look at our little set up, then you are more than welcome to visit anytime!

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 04:33:48 pm »
Thanks Dogwalker, Wales is a bit far, but will keep it in mind  ;D

Talana, I have had a look, but surprised there are not more shows/events to go to with goats there. Everyone is probably far too busy.  :D Apart from contacting individuals, doesn't appear to be lots of different breeds in one place for me to compare.

Thanks Ben, I know a couple of local AN breeders that I have made contact with, but wanted to try and generically see a variety of breeds. I know in person what BTs look like because of yours  :farmer:, but realised I have had little exposure to other breeds, only what I have read/heard. Will have a look at the Cambridgeshire Goatkeepers Society again
________
Caroline

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:15 pm »
Just thinking about other breeds, reminds me that Church Farm have Golden Guernseys and might have someone who could chat to you  about them.
http://www.churchfarmstowbardolph.co.uk/

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:22:33 pm »
Great thanks
________
Caroline

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:02:57 pm »
There is the National breed show at Newark showground  on 4th & 5th July it's only about 11/2 hours away straight on and off A1.  We went both days last year and they have all the dairy breeds there.  This year we will only go on the Sunday as Saturday all the breeders were busy showing but the Sunday (although still showing) was a much more relaxed day and got to speak to quite a few of the breeders.  It is free entry and parking, loads of goats, a good day out.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 10:52:03 pm »
Good to know thanks
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS