Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig tagging  (Read 6453 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
pig tagging
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:46:02 am »
Really confused about tagging now - conflicting info from abattoir, Local Animal Health and DEFRA!

I got some pigs a few weeks ago all more than 12m old. 3 gilts and 3 castrates. The castrates are double tagged with original holding no. I "think" to get the castrates slaughtered I need to remove and double tag with my own holding no - is that correct? How do I get the tags out with minimum fuss / distress to the pigs? Do my tags need to have consecutive nos as well as my holding no so that the pigs are properly identifiable?

Cheers

David

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: pig tagging
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:03 pm »
I am going through the same research at the moment. I have been told to leave the tags in that they already had (from original owners), but put my own on as well. There are other similar posts being replied to at the moment so might be worth a look.
________
Caroline

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »
leave the tags in they came with and send them to slaughter with either your own tags added or slap them on both shoulders. might be worth checking with your slaughterhouse as to which they prefer some don't like tags.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:00:57 pm »
I would leave the original tags in and add one of your own herd mark.  I once bought in some weaners which were already tagged, so just added one of my own when I sent them away finished with no problems.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 05:44:40 pm »
ok, let's spilt this into the two parts

Tags already in - legally you cannot remove these, The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2011

'22.  No person may, unless authorised by the Secretary of State, remove or deface an identification mark'

However if they come out, then there is no requirement to replace !  So your might just 'come out'  by themselves !

Next to go to slaughter legally they require either a SINGLE tag with your herd no. on it, or DOUBLE slapmarks on each shoulder same law The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2011

7.—(1) No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—

(a) an ear tag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark of the holding from which it is being moved; or
(b) a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”);

and section 6(2)  (2) A tattoo must be applied either by tattoo forceps, in which case it must be on an ear, or by slap-marking equipment, in which case it must be on each shoulder and must, in either case, be easy to read.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:30:59 pm »
That's really helpful, thanks.
________
Caroline

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 01:54:40 pm »
So let me check I've understood this:

If we buy some weaners (in Scotland), they can travel with a temporary ink mark, but then when they are ready for slaughter, we'll have to permanently either slap-mark or ear tag them with our own UK herd number?

So this is different to sheep or cattle who have an individual unique identifier for life, as well as their flock mark. Is that correct?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 12:07:30 am »
Many thanks - I think I know what to do for the pigs now!

I thought sheep did not need a unique no unless pedigree?.....I'm starting to get confused about them now!!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 09:00:59 am »
Womble

pigs - yes exactly right

and for sheep you are correct - sheep get tagged and (as long as the tags stay in, which they don't !)  they spend their lives with that original tag.

Don't try and understand or expect logic or consistency in animal regulations !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 09:02:41 am »
Yes, Womble - TOTALLY different to sheep and cattle, it is really confusing!  All sheep have an individual number made up of your flock number and then sequential individual ones, although if you have lambs going to slaughter on a single yellow tag, that individual number is not actually visible, just contained on the chip.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 12:00:33 pm »
I thought sheep did not need a unique no unless pedigree?.....I'm starting to get confused about them now!!

As already said, sheep are either tagged (visually and electronically) with a flock number and unique animal number, e.g. UK12345 (Flock) 00010 (Animal number ten), or tagged with a batch slaughter tag - this is only possible if they are non-breeding animals. Any pedigree numbers are entirely different, which swiftly takes up any remaining space on the already congested tag!

I hadn't realised that the slaughter tags also have an individual number in the EID chip though - I wonder why they don't print that too?

Don't try and understand or expect logic or consistency in animal regulations !

You don't say!  ;D   When I applied for my pig herd number I was sent a big book of welfare regulations, but nothing on actual practicalities like this.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:02:42 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS