Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garlic and seaweed  (Read 1637 times)

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
Garlic and seaweed
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:19:57 pm »
I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum (a mine of information!) prior to the arrival of our pygmy goat (elderly, lonely, rehomed to us) and have some Caprivite on the way. However I also notice a lot of you feed garlic and seaweed supplements too, and I recalled getting a free sample of this http://www.horsefirst.net/horse-supplements/garlic-and-more.html for my horse. Would this be suitable for goats, in reduced quantity of course? I've put the analysis below but I'm not sure what the RDAs for goats are?

Garlic & More Ingredients

Contains per 25g scoop:
Garlic, Sea Salt, Mint, Yeasacc,
Liquorice, Fenugreek, Seaweed,
Vitamin B1 200mg
Folic Acid 150mg
Vitamin B6 90mg
Vitamin B2 150mg
Vitamin E 200IU

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Garlic and seaweed
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 10:32:14 pm »
Obviously not 25g per day for a pygmy goat... but a wee sprinkle shouldn't do any harm.

If she is in reasonable condition and elderly I would be very careful in my feeding regime - she probably doesn't need much in the way of concentrates - a wee scoop of soaked sugar beet shreds with a sprinkle of oats on top - depends what she is used to, plus some fruit& veg, lots of branches and greenery, and of course always hay.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
Re: Garlic and seaweed
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:45:56 pm »
Yes I think if I gave her 25g she defintely wouldn't have to worry about vampires! She's on a normal goat mix at the moment so am going to start bringing oats in and switch her over to those gradually. She's had a bit of readigrass as well, had a bag open for the small animals, and enjoyed that, but I think she'll be especially pleased when the kids come back to school and she goes out on her daily hedge trimming duties/walkies!

She's a lovely soft girl so hopefully she'll have a good few years with us. Still looking for a goat pal for her though as she's not mingling with the sheep as well as I'd like, although it's only day two...still, much better than being on her own, I suppose. They aren't actively falling out or anything so I'm happy to leave things as they are at the moment but keeping a close eye.

I wondered if that supplement would work for bigger goats though (still not 25g of course), it certainly smells lovely!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS