Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: potato skins  (Read 4176 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
potato skins
« on: February 07, 2010, 03:33:45 pm »
i know spuds are bad for pigs unless you boil them first,
is the peelings ok?
any advice will be app ;) :pig:
Langdon ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: potato skins
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:40:29 pm »
You would have to make sure the potatoes weren't peeled in your kitchen. 

Otherwise would be the same as potatoes, they need boiling first.  Again not in your kitchen.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:21:38 pm »
thanks for replying ;)
but why cant they have them from our kitchen even when first boiled ???
Langdon ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »
You can't give your pigs anything from a kitchen or where any other food is prepared.

Defra booklet explains.  I'll try and find the link and post it.
 :)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:50:43 pm »
Found it.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/pigs/keeppigs.htm

There is a link there to Pig Keeping Guide.  Tells you in there what you can and can't feed to pigs.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 06:47:55 am »
which means that you should be aware that some of the pig keeping books are slightly out of date.   :) No scraping the gravy into porkies dinner  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:40:06 am »
Some rules are just plain stupid.  When my kids were babies we were told - if they don't sleep well at night put a little farex in their last bottle at night - that was at a few weeks old!  Then they said start solid feeding at 3 to 4 months.  I did all that and my kids are healthy adults.  Now they say don't feed them anything other than breast or simulated milk and no solid food till 6 months, and now I hear they are going back to 4 months for that!  It's all fashion!  The only difference is pigs are for eating so they don't want anything in the food chain that might harm us humans.....
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:42 am »
Some rules are just plain stupid. The only difference is pigs are for eating so they don't want anything in the food chain that might harm us humans.....
Quite right, but also to add that food prepared in your kitchen (boiling spuds etc) is at a risk of contamination from meat or meat products, which could lead to disease in your herd! :pig:

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 01:10:55 pm »
What is incredibly irritating with the whole thing is that, assuming you wash up occasionally(!), it is perfectly possible to work in such a way as to prepare pig food in your kitchen without it coming into contact with any meat.  And, to be honest, even if it did come into contact with the odd dirty knife it is hardly in the same league as feeding diseased sheep to cows, a practice which allegedly caused BSE, and was sanctioned by those in charge (thinking about it, I would hope meat sold for human consumpion was disease free!!).  Since most of these rules tend to make it difficult to feed your pigs anything but manufactured pig food one does tend to wonder if there is not some ulterior motive involved.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 02:00:26 pm »
Yes I agree most of us would make sure cross contamination did not happen, but there are many morons out there ::)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:48:03 pm »
I have to say I'm on the err on the side of caution school of thinking and have told everyone that our new girls get NOTHING fed to them from out of the house, just not worth the risk of their health nor my reputation with the trading standards etc..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS