Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wifi boosting  (Read 7764 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Wifi boosting
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:38 pm »
basically if there's is a continuous copper wire less than 300m long between 2 points it will work... remember you measure along the route of the wire not in a straight line...

fuseboxes etc dont stop it unless of course they trip....

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 05:47:28 pm »
the house only has internet in the owners bedroom.. which is where I am just now , lol... they tried a £60 plug in thingy as they were told about the electric circuit thing... its managed to get the Wi-Fi as far as the kitchen which is two rooms and one gable end away. it wont go into the living room off the kitchen as that's another gable end and on a different circuit apparently, the shed I am in is another 20ft past the living room and my  walls are 3ft thick... different circuit and separate fuse box again.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 11:12:32 am »
Probably not too important for smallholdings but a friend using power line adapters was recently told by his neighbour that he had shared his internet with people nearby.  Apparently the signal goes through the electric cabling but does't stop at the house wall :-)  The solution was to link the powerline adapters (he has three) by syncing them via a small button on each adapter.  Once that was done the three adapters only allowed connections through the synced units.

HTH,
Mickey

clunfarm

• Joined Nov 2014
  • South West Shropshire
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:41 pm »
If you have some signal (and a wifi router that takes screw in external antenna) you can improve the signal strength a bit with a longer antenna.

With thick stone walls I have solved our problems of wifi signal with a mix of poweline adaptors (TP-Link 500Mbps) and additional wifi access points (also TP-Link; one in kitchen, one downstairs living room and one at the top of the house). Even wth this, we still didn't get very good signal in one of the bedrooms.

However, having bought a much longer 12dBi rod antenna ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LC1H73O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 ) for the wifi access point at the top of the house it has improved things considerably. As well as improving the signal it also seems to have considerably decreased the rate of battery drain on our iPads where we did have reasonable signal.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 01:02:55 pm »
Ok been browsing and its a mine field  :o can anyone recommend a make or model that works well ?

If you're still pondering on the best solution for this, I've got some spare "Devolo" powerline adaptors lying about the house and perhaps even a wi-fi base station/extender somewhere.

Some combination of these will probably help the situation you have described - You're not far away from us so I could probably drop them off so you can try them out if that helps?

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 09:01:43 am »
I have been provided with a mobile wifi thingy... made by Huawei, I know nothing about it though believe it has a sim card that will need paid a fee for every so often... so I am on the internet with a reasonable speed.. it needs plugged into the laptop to work so I am sitting on the windowsill which is the only place it picks up a signal...

its meant to be 'wifi' but I can't get my laptop to connect to it .. grr... technology... it was just a thought to plug it in and it worked so I will search for answers to that problem. I woke up at 1.30 in the morning with that thought.. funny how your mind works!!

glad I can get on the internet at all!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 01:14:09 am »
Thanks for all of the replys. I ended up getting a TP Link range extender. It was easy to link into the bt home hub ,just a case of plugging it into an electric socket, pressing a button on the hub then pressing one on the socket  ::) and away we go . Full strength wifi in the whole house . You can also plug stuff into it via cables if need be  :thumbsup:
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS