Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding upon turnout  (Read 3711 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Feeding upon turnout
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:23:33 pm »
Just realised I have no idea how to feed my ewes after turnout. We have loads of grass but it's still winter/low quality grass at the moment. Should I give hay? How much hard food is recommended until the grass gets up and running?

They are Jacobs, four ewes, two sets of twins and two singles. Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Feeding upon turnout
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:06:22 pm »
I give them access to hay - they'll eat it if they need it; and a Harbro Vitality bucket plus maybe  1Kg a day hard feed dropping away over four weeks or so, depending on the condition of the ewes.

We have no grass - or so it looks but the ewe hoggs have a hay rack and are barely touching it.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:09:41 pm »
Ewes with plenty of grass tend not to touch hay ,  if your going to feed 1kg per day then 2or 3 feeds

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:17:07 am »
I used to increase the daily amounts of cake weekly for the 6 weeks leading up to lambing to peak at 1.1 kg then reduce it again by the same amounts to zero. Ad lib hay available. However, concerned about the size of lambs this might produce from my new Hampshire tup, this year I have taken the advice given on here from a regular contributor who really knows his/her stuff. I am now peaking at 900g per day ( in 2 feeds obviously) but then once lambed, dropping to 150g per lamb per day. No grass for weeks yet.
First ewe due to lamb Sunday, so I will not know if this plan has worked until then.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 07:22:48 am »
They've been having about 1/2 kilo per day per ewe until lambing, so will keep that up, plus they'll have plenty of grass. Will put hay out if they want it and a lick, so should be ok on that I think?

Now I'm wondering whether they had enough before, but they aren't huge ewes, and we've had easy births and no staggers or problems, so must've been ok! Phew!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:15:05 am »
It's all just guidance - and I guess every ewe is an individual too. I think it's a case of finding what works in your situation then tweaking it as you need to. No-one gets it right all the time. Helpful to document what you've done though becasue you won't remember  :)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:44:51 am »
It's all just guidance - and I guess every ewe is an individual too. I think it's a case of finding what works in your situation then tweaking it as you need to. No-one gets it right all the time. Helpful to document what you've done though becasue you won't remember  :)

Excellent advice Rosemary, I won't remember!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:45 am »
The other thing is that, unless your climate and other environmental factors are identical year on year, there is no one formula that always works.  Every year I am in agonies worrying have I caked enough for milk or too much and will get big lambs.   ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 01:34:19 pm »
^ I'm so glad it's not just me then!!  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 01:55:18 pm »
Lambed ones on ewe nuts, a little creep put in for lambs to pick, a little ram mix for variation, life line bucket and big bale haylage.

Un Lambed ones, lots of protein/high energy discs, big bale haylage, life line buckets, maxx red buckets.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS