Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eartagging weaners?  (Read 1423 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Eartagging weaners?
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:10:31 pm »
I have got some weaners which I will be selling at 8 weeks old.  Do I need to put the ear tags in at this age?  I have bought weaners in the past at this age and they have never had any tags, so I put the metal tags in just before they go to the abattoir.
I am sure they should have tags at whatever age but would just like to find out if they do have to?  I'd be glad of any advice.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Eartagging weaners?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:12:27 pm »
Only legally need ear tags once they reach 1 year old

If you move them live to another location before that it can be done just by a coloured stock marker.

I've never taken them to an abattoir but I believe you can either mark them either by ear tags or a slap mark before they go
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:15:27 pm by Clansman »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:44:30 pm »
We take ours to the abattoir with a slap mark. It works well for us and isn't too stressful for the pigs.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:55:21 pm »
If they're going direct from your holding to another holding they should be fine to move on a temporary mark (paint mark) but if they are going to a market to be sold they'll need tags with your herd number on them.
If they are pedigree it's worth tagging sooner rather than later.
HTH

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 05:39:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  They will be going to another holding, so I will just use a temporary paint mark.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS