Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe going downhill after stillborn's  (Read 1999 times)

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
Ewe going downhill after stillborn's
« on: March 06, 2015, 04:50:33 pm »
Hi all,

Some may have read earlier this week that we were having a bit of a 'mare this season. One of my biggest problems was a yearling who was looking rather off colour. After a week of TLC and some antibiotics and calcium from the vet and subsequently a jab to induce her we were not surprised by the stillborn twins that arrived on Wednesday.

We kept the ewe inside in a fresh pen and gave her an option of wide range of food, and an antibiotic to cover all bases. She got restless in the pen and went back out with the rest of the flock but has since started looking poorly again, I haven't seen her eat or approach the water tank and just stays in the corner of the field; except when I approach.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to help herr 'turn the corner'?
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ewe going downhill after stillborn's
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 05:08:14 pm »

I give hefty doses of Pen&Strep daily for 7 days after a ewe throws her lambs.  Also big doses of Combivit for the first 2-3 days.

If she's not eating you may need to give her electrolytes or a drench of Twin Lamb Formula or something, twice a day until she picks up.  Some people find they'll eat ivy when they won't eat anything else.  And if she isn't drinking, you may need to give her water too.

The vet always says it's worth trying to get a lamb for them - "give her something to live for" is how he puts it.  But of course you must be prepared to have to bottle feed the lamb if she doesn't take it, or won't feed it at first.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 05:17:51 pm »
I was hoping she would be strong enough to adopt one of the triplets but she can barely look after herself and the ewe with the triplets raised triplets last year on her own so I'm happy to let her be.

I'll get some twin lamb in her and some water and we'll see how she goes
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:37:57 pm »
I'd drench her with twin lamb drench diluted 1:20 with water - does two things in one and avoids extra handling.  Take the hedge shears out and cut some fresh bits and bobs from the verge if it's clean enough - grass, dandelions, last year's bramble leaves, hawthorn buds.  Often sparks a bit of interest in a poorly ewe.  I too would keep the a/bs going - those lambs could have been dead inside her long enough for septicaemia to set in.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 02:03:29 pm »
I would inj Vit B1 also, it can't hurt and if she has been low over a period of time then a lack of thiamine can contribute to a downward spiral. Fingers crossed she picks up  :fc:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS