Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More puppy questions!  (Read 4188 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
More puppy questions!
« on: March 05, 2015, 07:20:46 pm »
I have weighed them and some are racing ahead.  The bigger two are .310kg and the smaller choccies .230kg.

is it time to start feeding the smaller ones lactol?  I tried the choccie on it and it lapped it up bit didnt seem to take a lot.

the two choccies make a lot of noise when eating whereas the others are quiet.

is a 30% difference normal in puppiese?

The book of the bitch tells mw they should be having between 20 and 30 g of fluid a day.....

Normalky i am very laid bakck but so desparate these puppies should be okay

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: More puppy questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:28:37 pm »
The book of the bitch gives a 25 to 30% mortality rate in the first week  ; :'(

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 07:43:11 pm »
Have you tried popping the smaller pups on mums back teats, I'd try that before topping up feeds, as long as the smaller pups are steadily putting on weight they will be fine, you can try topping up the odd feed it won't do any harm but dies change their poo slightly.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:15:59 pm »
Their starting weights aren't totally important - the goal is for them to gain weight steadily each day. I have a feeling you want them to double their birth weight in the first week or so.
You shouldn't need to top up any babies if mum has enough milk AND they are gaining weight.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:42:21 pm »
Agree with much of this - make sure your bitch is well fed with top quality food, and has plenty of water and rest.  She should be able to do it all - I had a bitch who fed 11 puppies with no help except some vitamins from my vet.  Three became Champions (one of them International), all were working  gun dogs bar two, as well as companions.

Try not to interfere too much in the early stages and don't top up unless your vet advises it.  Your bitch may reduce her milk.  As already said put the smaller pups onto stronger teats in the milk bar.  The back ones are not always the ones with the most or best milk.

Don't weigh them every day - they do  fluctuate.  I usually weigh mine weekly from the date they were born till they are 8 weeks and give the new owners a weight chart.  It is useful for their own vets.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 10:41:34 pm »
I am using my diet scales to weigh them.  I didn't weigh the first couple of days.  They have all put on weight over the last 24 hours so I am not panicking quite so much!

I am at home all weekend so will carry on keeping a close eye on Mum... I suspect I am interfering too much

Thank you all very much

Dogango.... I am afraid I couldn't bear not to weigh them at the moment.   ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:03:31 am »
I am at home all weekend so will carry on keeping a close eye on Mum... I suspect I am interfering too much

Thank you all very much

The solution, of course, is to take more pictures  ;D  :innocent:   :eyelashes: :eyelashes:   :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 12:09:20 pm »
I am using my diet scales to weigh them.  I didn't weigh the first couple of days.  They have all put on weight over the last 24 hours so I am not panicking quite so much!

Thank you all very much

Ok sounds fine - try to not interfere the first 10 days.  weighing is less of an indicator than your eyes - feel the pups, check what is covering their ribs, encourage the thinnest ones to suckle by putting them on a teat if they fall off or fall asleep too much - they are dreadful time wasters - relax and enjoy! :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 02:46:19 pm »
I would never take advice from a vet re a litter, they generally have absolutely no experience breeding bitches. Best getting a good mentor, I had 2 fab ladies with over 60yrs breeding experience between them (they told me to stay clear of vets for all breeding advice) We've always found the larger pups on the back teats thus - having more milk as they are drinking more per feed! Topping up feeds has never been a problem for us, milks never dried up and gives me peace of mind giving the smaller weaker pups an extra feed.
They are great fun, I can't wait to have another, hopefully around August.
Have attached a link to some of my puppy pics, love them http://www.miharucockers.com/gallery/puppy-gallery.aspx

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 07:03:09 pm »
Im no expert but don't puppies choose "their" teat and stick to it?  ???
Ive bred hundreds of pedigree cats and I always topped up the feeds when it was a big litter. One cat had 13 kittens in one litter and I only lost one.
Of course you are anxious.... don't beat yourself up. You are doing everything you can.
Is it time to retire yet?

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 01:37:04 am »
These lot all head for the back two teats.  The choccies (who were the lightest) have both put on weight last two days... they all seem to be getting better at pushing the others off!  I am not interfering so much and letting them sort it.

Misty did get bored today and sat on the sofa, I was in the greenhouse so when I saw her through the window I bought her out for 20 minutes and since then she's been with them no problem.

She REALLY wants her dinner, it's woofed down and they aren't small portions! 

You are all right about them being timewasters.

I have, of course, bought my (not too slight) body weight in lactol but I'm sure I'll use it when they are a bit bigger...

:fc:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 08:16:03 pm »
Our sprocker bitch had pups in November last year- she had 4. There was a bit of difference between the pups' weight but as long as they are all gaining weight then I wouldn't worry about supplementing feeding. Use the milk replacer when you start to wean, we found Whelpi really useful then. I didn't weigh ours every day, more the day after they were born, then 7 days, 14 days (for worming), 5 weeks, 6 weeks and 8 weeks before they left.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS