Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe with staggers in labour..... Anything likely to be different?  (Read 6472 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Any advice / experience greatfully accepted.  Took her in yesterday after giving calciject, and recommended repeat dosing sof twin lamb drench.... She was eating well, but now seems to be getting ready to lamb, is staggers likely to make this any differnt (longer, higher chance of dead lambs that I might have to help with etc. I'm ready to assist, but never have had to before and don't want to pile for no reason. This is her third lambing (but never so early, surprise ram visit again, so inadequately fed - however unlike Friday's, she is ENORMOUS). She hasn't got up,all day, but seemed quite content and is only now starting to look like she's getting down to business....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe with staggers in labour..... Anything likely to be different?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:57:28 pm »
For an experienced ewe shouldn't be a problem and you say she looks happy not distressed , the not getting up all day is a bit of a worry but hopefully  she will lamb and stand when lighter  , you say shes enormous but this doesn't mean she isn't very lean just a lot of lambs or big lambs or masses of fluids , hope all goes well  :thumbsup:  Hope you are now feeding all ewes just to be safe

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:28:47 pm »
Thanks shep, Ive never had any in before, but given the inch of snow I have an Inpromptu lambing shed.... Friday's ewe is now totally back on form, munching hay and feeding her twins after a slow start (I'm still topping them up). So just a waiting game with tonight's....as you say, fingers crossed.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:50:13 pm »
If she's had a bit of staggers then she'll probably feel an awful lot better once the lambs are out!  We had a mule once stayed down and lambed recumbent.  We had to help the lambs find the teats, but the milk was there, and the following day she was up and completely normal.  :fc:

I'm glad the other ewe is improving.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:03:58 am »
HUGE lamb, one leg back just helped out. Boy did she seem relieved.... Lucky licky like there's no tomorrow :-) I did wonder if she might be too knackered to be interested, but no. Go and check if another in a bit......

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:58:15 am »
Pulled another at 6 am... Front legs only this time. Thank you Tim Tyne :-).

I blame myself for saying on Friday that ive never had to pull one yet and how good my girls were, shelling them like peas! I'll learn :innocent:

Anyway, all seeming to do well, ewe has milk, lambs interested and put on teat. Ewe still not got up yet - but in up rightish relaxed position, head up etc thanks for support again  :bouquet:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 08:23:30 am »
I blame myself for saying on Friday that ive never had to pull one yet and how good my girls were, shelling them like peas! I'll learn :innocent:

Yeah, but these haven't been your tup - or breed - have they? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:29:14 am »
True - Kerry hill tup (enormous, not mine) on my Beulah ewes.... Funny husb was saying that this morning. If I had looked in the book it would have been a combo I would have thought ok as KH are apparently descended from Beulah, and are a Welsh mountain breed... Ah well. The nights twins are enormous, no wonder she went down.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:27:52 pm »
Still not up, but hopefull. Eating well. Even the spinach :yum:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 06:47:00 pm »
Give more calcium and try to help her stand , from the picture she looks very lean ,  smart lambs very narrow heads and shoulders so if she was in perfect  condition may have popped out easily , shes put all her reserves into the lamb :thumbsup:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:59:03 pm »
I agree, you want to try and get her on her feet. I would be tempted to buy a. Bag of marksway or similar ryegrass haylage to get some weight on her. Bless her, she has done you proud producing two smashing lambs with little extra feeding. Have you got any nettex rapid ewe boost, fantastic stuff that will get into her system very rapidly. Repeat again after 4 hours. Good luck with your others.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 05:32:56 pm »
Yeay, she's up! I'd just started looking around for something to hammock her up with and son said errrr, she's up! The lambs are absolutely massive - especially the second born ram lamb, he is week old size and dwarfs the lambs born in the stall next door 4 days earlier. Thanks again all

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 05:42:40 pm »
that's good news Fib. Welldone all involved.
Those are beautiful lambs too
Is it time to retire yet?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 06:35:05 pm »
Brilliant news - well done. Hope mum and boys continue to do well.  :thumbsup:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 07:06:49 pm »
Well done!!!!   :thumbsup:

Beautiful lambs!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS