Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: seed catalogues  (Read 1479 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
seed catalogues
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:11:34 pm »
It's time to rant about seed catalogues again  :rant:  ::) I think it happens every year around this time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the arrival of the first new catalogues at the end of the year, so I can plan my garden for the new coming season.
What bugs me is how many repeats are sent out.  I've lost count of how many copies I have of T&M, DTBrown, Mr Fothergill, Marshalls.  By far the biggest constituent of our recycling waste bin consists of seed and plant catalogues, measured by weight, number or bulk.  Once I have a copy, well, I have a copy.  Why would I need more?  And if my original copy has gone up in a house fire or been chewed by the dog, then I can request a replacement.

Seeing as I'm here, I'll complain about those horribly glossy covers too, which seem to be getting glossier year by year.  The worst is T&M, whose catalogue you can't put in a pile even if you measure it's on a perfectly level surface, using a spirit level, because the catalogues just slide off each other.  The best one is DTBrown which is not shiny at all - all hail for something anyway.   Of course it's not just the catalogues which are shiny - there's all those magazines too. Do we need all that shine?  Does it help them slide off the newsagent's shelves into our shopping basket?

OK - rant over  :tired: :tired: :tired:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:13:10 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: seed catalogues
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:27:46 pm »
Seeing as I'm here, I'll complain about those horribly glossy covers too, which seem to be getting glossier year by year.  The worst is T&M, whose catalogue you can't put in a pile even if you measure it's on a perfectly level surface, using a spirit level, because the catalogues just slide off each other.  The best one is DTBrown which is not shiny at all - all hail for something anyway.   Of course it's not just the catalogues which are shiny - there's all those magazines too. Do we need all that shine? 
:roflanim:
I swear I could feel the energy building in your rant.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: seed catalogues
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:17 pm »
being new to this veg gardening thing i haven't progressed to the seed catalogue yet, but the wall of seeds in the garden centre is certainly very tempting...

so many to choose from so little space...

i have 24 1mx1m areas to plant, some crops will get 2 areas some 1 but i can only grow so much stuff its very exciting though...

ps i hate shiney paper as well though as it doesn't compost and can't be shredded for pet bedding and doesn't even burn well booo...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS