Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please - Young silkie hen started to sit!  (Read 1533 times)

sheepandponies

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Galston
Advice please - Young silkie hen started to sit!
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:47:27 am »
My silkie hen has started to brood eggs but she has only started to lay in the last few weeks so wondering if I should allow her to continue to brood given how young she is?  She has nested in the middle of the house not in a nest area, should I worry about this?  The 3 silkies (the other young hen and young cockerel) are inside a small barn so they dont use the house much anyway.  Had planned to put them outside at soon as it gives up raining (west of scotland) but they is unlikely for some weeks yet!!!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Advice please - Young silkie hen started to sit!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:13:03 am »
I would leave her there as long as she is safe. You could put some other eggs under her (at dusk) if you like and food and water nearby. :fc:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:30:41 pm »
In my experience she will be way too young to successfully hatch a brood S&P. Any under two years and you run the risk of them abandoning the hatch or at worst eating the hatchlings.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:55:57 pm »
being a silkie she may well sit and rear successfully. how big are her eggs though? if she's still laying wee pullet eggs it might be better to wait, or put some bigger ones under her. I was always told that you shouldn't hatch from pullets or at least not ones that have ply just come into lay.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS