Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Miniature jersey cows  (Read 26555 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Miniature jersey cows
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 08:39:43 pm »
A pedigree regular-size Jersey heifer will cost quite a bit too.  I paid £1200 for an in-calf 2 year-old.

Worth every penny imh[jersey]o  :eyelashes: :cow:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 09:34:53 pm »
And then some!

I bought her in-calf, estimated to be about 7 months along.  When she calved and started lactating, my neighbour, a dairy farmer, told me she would now fetch in excess of £2000.

She calved a beautiful Jersey heifer calf, and then the next year another.  The first daughter went on to produce a lovely Jersey heifer calf, as did the second.  And I've also got a beautiful Jersey x Red Devon heifer coming on. 

As well as their own calves, they each add value to an average of 3 bought-in calves per year.  They help feed the orphan lambs, any pups, pigs, chickens we may be rearing, as well as what we need for the house. 

Oh, and I trust them with the grand nephews and nieces ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 09:43:06 pm »
:wave: i googled these must admit they are pretty cool .couldnt see any in uk , did see a price of $2000.00 for a young heifer  :o .

A pedigree regular-size Jersey heifer will cost quite a bit too.  I paid £1200 for an in-calf 2 year-old.
it was 8 mnth stirk(about the size of a collie) . £1200 strong money for a jersey about here see them regularly about £750. i take it she was top draw  :trophy: . [size=78%] totaly un related but i seen a few jersey x ayrshire at a dispersal looked like a jersey but slightly bigger and nearly black really really smart lookin beasts looked like they were out a photo shoot they all made 2grand+[/size]

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 08:29:05 am »
£1200 strong money for a jersey about here see them regularly about £750. i take it she was top draw  :trophy: .

She's a very special girl with superb genes, yes.  I wouldn't have been so precious, but I'd been after a house cow for ever and this was the only one BH would let me have!   (She's the great-great-great granddaughter of our neighbour's favourite cow.  The neighbour, retired now, used to have a prize-winning herd, and bred a bull for AI.  Hillie is a descendent.)

It's ridiculous to have such a superb animal as a house cow; although I produce some pure-bred Jerseys I don't register them - there's no point as we're not a dairy herd and we're not milk recorded.  However, BH likes to look at really good stock, and he loves to go and look at Jerseys at sales and tell me how much better Hillie, and especially her first daughter Plenty, are.   ::) 

Whatever we paid for her, she's founded a dynasty here and been worth every penny.  BH absolutely adores them too :hugcow:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 08:36:09 am »
 :excited:  I love Jersey's too ...... just not the right place here to have any  :(           These miniatures  are they like micro pigs?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 08:50:42 am »
:excited:  I love Jersey's too ...... just not the right place here to have any  :(           These miniatures  are they like micro pigs?

You wrote what I was thinking. The whole "miniaturisation" thing makes me uncomfortable. These micro versions of farm animals to me serve no useful purpose. It's like an urbanisation of farming - also see post on "Countryfile" - all comes to teh same thing.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 08:55:11 am »
What about Zeebu cattle? They are small and gentle and available in Great Britain.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 09:35:11 am »
My daughter worked at a farm park last summer and would strongly disagree about the temperament of miniature Zebu cattle!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:00 am »
 I researched Zebus last year when there were some for sale on preloved.
Apparently their meat is tough, so not much point in producing a load of stewing steak for the same production costs as prime sirloin.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:34 am »
Given that the person posting originally hasn't been back to answer any replies I guess s/he has given up/lost interest....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:00 am »
Given that the person posting originally hasn't been back to answer any replies I guess s/he has given up/lost interest....

I was thinking about apologising for the threadjacking, but as you say, she maybe hasn't been on anyway.

We've enjoyed ourselves anyway!   :D

Edited to say, actually, she's left the forum  :( .  I hope we didn't drive her away...  :-[

Edited again to say she seems to be back on, although hasn't posted again.  Hi Sophy!  We'd love to know more about your plans :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:06:00 pm by SallyintNorth »

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 07:54:59 pm »
nice jerseys sally  :thumbsup: .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:21 pm »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 09:28:57 pm »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »
nice jerseys sally  :thumbsup: .

Thank you  :)

She knits nice ones too  ;)

:roflanim:

I was puzzled for a minute there.  We're discussing knitting, crocheting and felting coloured sheep for a display celebrating 30 years of the British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association, so I thought you meant a knitted Jersey cow!  lol Like these  (Yes, ok, they're crocheted, but they're cute!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS