Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: prolapse UPDATE  (Read 9964 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
prolapse UPDATE
« on: February 16, 2015, 06:04:53 pm »
Spotted a prolapse this afternoon.  size of a melon.  rushed off to mole valley to buy a spoon, then had to collect my son from neighbouring farm and load up rolled barley.  Just got back and the prolapse has gone back in!  Do I still need to fit a spoon, will she keep prolapsing?  Sorry, never had a prolapse before, bit worried about the size of the lambs, still 2 weeks till first lambs are due and ewes are massive, had to borrow a Hampshire Down for tupping, usually use a Romney.  Could I be looking at lots of prolapses and assisted births?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:38:46 pm by trish.farm »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: prolapse
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:28:07 pm »
She will keep prolapsing but I would argue you do not need to fit a spoon as I hate them! Swap for a harness or stitch would be my preferred options. Best of luck  :fc:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:32:05 pm »
should I pop a spoon in now for tonight, and get her stitched tomorrow.  Don't want to risk her prolapsing again tonight and getting infected?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:48:25 pm »
I use a Hampshire Down tup with my ewes and rarely have to assist. Sometimes the shearlings need a tiny bit of help, but that's not unheard of whatever tup is used. I always have plenty of lube ready just in case, but more often than not, lambing is straightforward.  My Hampshire does throw big chunky lambs and my girls are also looking large with 4 weeks to go!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »
just been back out to the field.  She hasn't prolapsed again yet.  She was off the other end of the field though away from the others.  Came running over in the hope of food so cant be much wrong with her, was worried she was going to start lambing!!  Havent put spoon in, she took herself off into the barn so have put her in a clean pen and will check her regularly during the night incase she prolapses again.  Don't want to stick a spoon in and cause more problems if not necessary.  Am I doing the right thing??

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:16:37 pm »
hampshire down will probly be bigger and more chunky than your usual ram,
I find they also have bigger heads and are bigger boned, muscle gives and bone doesnt

I had a hampshire down cross ram lamb whom I used on ewes and unfortunately I had one prolapse, lambs stuck with big heads needing pulling, and wide chunky legs and bones which were stuck in ewes which I previously did not need to aid, the lambs once pulled did grow very well and finished in June/july with no creep though,
other people are fine with the breed and some people just accept they have to pull a few lambs each year and dont see it as a problem,
I however prefer small lambs which hit the ground running and grow on afterwards even if they are ready a couple of months later  :thumbsup:

if you are feeding for singles/twins etc you should hopefully be fine with the rest  :fc:
Hope your ewe's prolapse sorts itself soon  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:21:12 pm »
Do you have some flat land? The vet told us that sheep tend to sleep facing up hill and that makes the prolapse worse. Try moving her somewhere flat if you can. We bought ours into the stable yard with a friend for company
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 07:26:38 pm »
yep, have put her in a clean pen and she is munching happily on hay.  Nothing has popped back out yet!!  Just been looking at my dates and she could as close as  7 days off lambing.  She isn't in anyway over weight, but lamb wise she is enormous!!  Everything is going into her lambs I think!  She has really hollowed infront of her hips and I have a funny feeling she is closer to lambing than I reckon she should be!  Have held off on putting spoon in, she is on a sparkly clean bed, will check her regularly and if she does prolapse again will bung it back in as quick as poss and put spoon in. Oh the joys of sheep!!!   :innocent:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 07:28:10 pm »
NO easy answer to your question it depends on you , small prolapses can pop in and out for days or weeks but will normally develop in to a full prolapse at some point , you can pop the spoon in if you are really worried it won't hurt' then either buy a harness ( which you can put on and the ewe can mostly lamb through ) or take to vet and get a stitch put in ( you need to cut to allow birth )           A Hampshire  should be slightly smaller then a Romney so should be very little difference in lamb size

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:32:41 pm »
is a grapefruit size prolapse big or small???  Had tiny prolapses like a golf ball before that pop out while they are lying down then pop back in again, but nothing this big!!!!   :o   And what on earth does a full prolapse look like?????

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:40:58 pm »
Small prolapse  pink flesh colour ,soft yes up to grape fruit size      FULL prolapse red raw looking  small football size skin stretched taught

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 08:23:15 pm »
We had a problem last year with one about large grapefruit size and couldn't get hold of a  harness  so used a spoon, I have to say I prefer the  harness  but, she did lamb at night unassisted through the spoon with no following prolapse after birth (so there is hope).

it was good to have a bag of stuff to hand, I'm sure you have it covered but we had a bottle of boiled water cooled (the cool water shrinks the prolapse back sometimes). some iodine and some surgical gloves, also sterile wipes if you have some.
main problem is infection, so watch when she sits down if she prolapses poos then
gets say hay on top and it drys, its a bugger to get off but it really is better to do
before it go's back in.
personally i would not feed her too much tonight keep her clean like you have
and go and get a  harness  tomorrow morning. if she prolapses again wash her, serilise stick it back and use the spoon. then get the harness .
hope that is at all usefull. good luck :fc:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 08:38:07 pm »
Its the vaginal wall you are looking at with the closed cervix somewhere near the middle. Its prevented from going any further by the closed cervix, it wont get massively bigger than the size it is but may decide to stay out more.

Clean it carefully - neat iodine on the vaginal wall I should imagine would sting a little. Dilute hibi or dilute salt water and gentleness if it needs cleaning up.

Though they can clearly also prolapse the uterus (this is a post lambing prolapse and is much larger) the two prolapses occur for different reasons so there is no reason she should do this and if she was going to the spoon probably wouldn't prevent it. 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 01:26:41 pm »
We use dilute Savlon - much gentler than most wound disinfectants - and dab off very gently with pure cotton cottonwool (some has polyester added, which is quite abrasive).

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 02:39:14 pm »
update!!! nothing popped out during the night, just rushed out to checked her as she was lying in the same place in the field for 2 hours, looked like she was lambing.  Prolapsed again.  Pulled myself together, got dilute hibi scrub, washed off prolapse which was clean.  washed my hands, covered myself in lube and gently pushed in back in!  Whoop whoop, it popped straight back in.  Washed and lubed a spoon and fitted that.  There is a small amount of discharge, similar to start of lambing, so will keep beady eye on her!!! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS