Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rearing lamb on goats  (Read 3254 times)

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Rearing lamb on goats
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:34:30 pm »
Hello. Does anyone have experience of rearing lambs on goats? A client is considering this for some of their embryo texels twins, probably leaving the tup lambs on the ewes but twinning on ewe lambs at a few days old.  Which breed would you choose? How many could she rear? Will they usually let them suck or need tethered a few times a day? Would you leave her kid on, or eg try & get them kidding in early autumn then spean the kids & replace with lambs? Anything suitable for sale - they start lambing in 10days! Would need to be johnes free herd & cae accredited.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Rearing lamb on goats
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:57:01 pm »
I suspect Anke or someone more experienced will comment soon but I don't think it is advised to let lamb suckle goat as they can damage udder. However, I have used goat milk for lambs and they have thrived on it but I milked and bottle fed.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:51:19 am »
Bottle-feed goatsmilk, don't let the lambs suckle - for the welfare of the goat, not the lambs that is. Lambs are much rougher with (a ewe's) udder than kids. It would also be unlikely that he will be able to buy a freshly kidded goat which gives a gallon for twins (to rear a good lamb s/he would also need a good 2ltrs per day of goatsmilk) and a goatkeeper being prepared to part with her. Especially from a CAE accredited herd. Not sure there are ANY Johne's accredited herds in this country yet... (accredited I mean, I am certain that I am Johne's-free, but of course not tested)

This idea of a goat suckling lambs is actually nowadays very outdated... Lamlac is cheaper.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:14:22 pm »
As a goat keeper and a commercial sheep farmers wife and knowledge of terminal sire sheep breeder I agree with scotsgirl and ankes posts. Even if tied up goats a very good at handstands, and if lambs do get their fill the udder probably be wrecked before lambs weaned. Wouldn't be many goat keepers would sell for this use for their goats welfare, That's never mind your client learning the care of the goat which is different to sheep. Most people are on the BGS testing scheme which is cheaper or some large closed commercial herds are accredited or those that are already accredited with their sheep.
 I hand milk my goats twice a day and stock up the freezer in advance prior to lambing and split the milk between goat kids and lambs that need a top up and those that end up as pets, by bottle feeding or the lamb feeding box, To make life easier the shepherdess ad lib system is good for pedigree stock and goat milk works in it if you keep it clean. Lambs do better on goats milk than milk replacer and has saved many of our lambs. Although Downland now produce a lamb milk replacer made from sheeps milk. 
From what I understand from you post your client wants to have big single tup lambs as singles grow bigger first with the extra milk. One thought I have is since they are using embryo transfer they would be better considering the recipients be friesland or proven milky ewes leaving the lambs on. Some of our texel ewes are quite milky and easily rear twins and some triplets, The key to rearing the pedigree lambs at higher growth rate as in single lambs is access to ad lib lamb creep from young age regardless of what milk they get. We used to have pedigree charolais flock, pet lambs with creep on shepherdess grew tups as good as the single tup lambs. We had a creep feed area that all the lambs could access as well as the shepherdess some of the lambs who had mothers copied the pets an got extra milk via sheperdess.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 10:00:13 pm »
Thankyou all for your helpful replies. back to the shepherdess i think!
 Hopefully we've improved ewe milk yield by tweaking the feeding this year.  Last year no concentrates were fed prelambing as the ewes were in good condition so the client treated them like their may lambing commercial ewes. A steep learning curve for them with very variable ewe milk yields & lamb growth rates even with early creeping. Thats when i was called in, but by then it was obviously too late to rectify the situation.
The debate around pushing on or creeping lambs re fertlity, growth rates of their progeny under commerical conditions, longevity & milkyness is one better left for another post!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS