Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to goats  (Read 14943 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: New to goats
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:09:52 am »
The book Anke recommended is only a few quid on amazon :) Just bought a copy!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:15 pm »
Good luck with your goats when you get them, if I may add, if you have a local goat club it would be well worth joining. When I got my first goats I had read lots, asked lots and seen lots. Everyone has their own ideas and it is interesting to see other peoples set ups for their goats. I ended up with as many as 100 on premises at any one time, I kept milkers, followers meat kids and males. Wonderful animals and you will never stop learning.
I have never found then destructive but I have been lucky enough to have concrete buildings and a covered yard where the milkers were kept loose to get her. They hate rain so available cover is a must when outside
Happy goat keeping and don't be afraid to ask !!!! :excited:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 08:24:34 am »
Hello  :wave:

Its a steep learning curve and I ready oodles of books before getting mine but found coming here and asking questions as they arose the best way to learn personally. 
I hope you find the TAS community supportive as did I  :)
I'd say visit other goat owners, join a local goat/smallholders club, stand and watch the behaviour of your goats so you can gauge what is normal, I learnt how to milk via youtube so don't be surprised if you find your learning comes from unusual places.  make sure your vet is familiar with goats as they really are not like sheep despite what they might think.  Depending on where you are in the UK there might be a TAS member willing to  invite you over?  good luck  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 08:10:50 am »
Find someone local who will teach you to hand milk. It's like everything....easy when you know how  ;D Your goat will object as she has had her kid on her but someone with knowledge will see you through it :fc:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 08:39:10 am »
You can read all the books but there is nothing like hands on experience. I did loads of reading and visited the owner of the goats several times before committing. Probably drove her mad and there were several phone calls when goats home.

Unfortunately the goats can't read the books and have their own agenda! Good luck. I would recommend getting an experienced milker and one maybe with kid at foot so if you struggle initially with milking then kid can help clean up! It's hard enough getting the technique right without trying to cope with the goat learning the ropes also.

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 01:15:24 pm »
Thank you!
Just to update, the goat and kid arrived a few weeks ago and are very happy:)
They go out when it's not raining and have a large stable for when it is.
The nanny seems very sweet and good natured, I'm not going to milk her at the moment as I can't commit to milking everyday with 3 young children, she is also quite a small breed rather than a Milker.
A very nice lady came to see her with me, who has 30 yrs experience with goats and has given me some pointers  :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 04:17:55 pm »
The longer you leave the milking bit the more difficult it will be. Go for it!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 01:52:17 am »
Why not milk her just once a day? after the youngsters are in bed?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 08:15:27 am »
Anyway, enjoy her :thumbsup: You'll learn as you go and as long as your goats are cared for they won't mind your odd bunglings.
I haven't had goats now for almost thirty years but if my set up was ideal(for my sake really) I'd have more like a shot. Like Plums, I got mine originally because one of my children had bad excema and asthma with cows milk and although used to hand-milking a bit with cows I got the ab-dabs for a few days before each milking. It soon becomes a cosy and peaceful routine though, a bit of relaxation really :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 10:56:54 am »
I have 2 small children and I milk once a day. I milk in an old stripped out caravan. One end has the milking bench in and the other end has the seats and a tv so that my boys watch a DVDS whilst I milk. It works pretty well.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 07:53:45 pm »
I have 2 small children and I milk once a day. I milk in an old stripped out caravan. One end has the milking bench in and the other end has the seats and a tv so that my boys watch a DVDS whilst I milk. It works pretty well.

Does the goat get to watch the tv as well?

?just a thought - put 'Shaun the sheep' on - I wonder what she'd do? I think they sound more like goats than sheep   :goat:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 09:27:44 pm »

Does the goat get to watch the tv as well?

?just a thought - put 'Shaun the sheep' on - I wonder what she'd do? I think they sound more like goats than sheep   :goat:

She does sometimes look over - I don't think she likes Tom & Jerry  :D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 12:50:07 am »
Far too violent for our gentle friends  :innocent:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 08:49:48 am »
I have 4 small children and the youngest learnt to milk aged 3 - go on, they'll love it!

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:27 am »
I gave up the evening milking to my eldest child, he loved it! The 5am time was mine though, the best time of the day, summer or winter :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS